Episode 46 - Our Lovely Evening

Seraphina's POV

Wellston Private High School, Wellston Town, 5:59PM

"Seraphina...?" Remi said my name with slightly widened eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Sera." I corrected.

"What?" She tilted her head in confusion.

"Oh, um, you called me 'Seraphina.'" I pointed out. "I just wanted to let you know that you could call me Sera instead. You remember? I told you that day when we were shopping."

"Ah, you're right. Sorry, I guess I'm still not used to it. You know, the nickname?" She chuckled, nervously putting a hand around her neck. "So, what are you doing up here? Came to see the view?"

"Is that what you were doing?" I asked. "I wanted to look for you. Since Vaughn said that I couldn't participate in the tournament due to my ability loss, I figured I could talk to someone."

"I see." Remi stated as I walked over to her, standing beside her. "And that someone you wanted to talk to was me?"

"Yeah..."

There was a moment of awkward silence that made both of us unsteady.

"So, when's your next match?" I questioned, wondering if she had to leave soon.

Because I sure didn't want her to.

I knew it was selfish, but I loved her presence. The way she smiled every time she mentioned something nice and the way her laugh made me feel like I was on cloud nine.

"My next match?" She looked puzzled. "Oh, I'm not competing in the tournament this year."

"Wait, you're not? But I thought that everyone had to take part. That's how the rules were and it's always been stated in the past that way." I put a hand to my chin in thought.

"Not this time." Remi shook her head. "Turns out that the headmaster changed some rules and now students are allowed to choose whether they want to participate or not. Most of them did want to fight, but I was one of the few that wanted to cool down for a moment."

"Man, if I knew that I could skip out on those matches before, I would've." I groaned. "Those things would always be a pain because I would win them all instantly."

"Haha, it was that boring to you, huh?" She chuckled sweetly.

"Well, when you're stuck on being perfect and you're a god-tier on top of that, wins and good grades become less rewarding." I told her.

"Right, about that..." The rest of Remi's sentence drifted off into nowhere.

"What is it?" I turned to look at her.

"Ah, it's nothing-!" She waved her hands in the air before I interrupted her.

"No, it's not." I firmly replied. "I'm sorry for prying, but I have to know. There are some instances where I feel like we're very close, and there are others where I feel like we're really distant. It's like there's no in-between in our friendship. So if you can, could you please tell me?"

...

"Okay, fine." Remi sighed, a foreign expression of sadness on her face. I mean, it was strange seeing her upset, because she was always so bubbly and cheerful. "You got me. It has something to do with what you said earlier. About your past and how you wanted perfection."

"Is that true?" I raised an eyebrow, surprised. "That's what's been bothering you whenever we're together? But that happened a long time ago. I'm not that person anymore."