Episode 2 - What To Do Next

Seraphina's POV

As I walked through the halls, hoping to get to the roof, I noticed someone at the end of the hall. John. I put my head down. Why does he of all people have to show up in front of my face? I wouldn't even have minded a mid-tier trying to pick a fight with me. At least I could defend myself and be on my merry way. I put my head back up. I looked at John, who also had his head down like I did. Did he notice me? Geez, look at those dark eyebags. Is he getting sleep? Whatever. It's his problem, not mine. My ability is still compromised and I have no idea why.

Then, we both crossed each other. I clenched my fist. Not even a glance, huh? I guess I really don't mean anything to you, John. As the hierarchy stands, it's only natural that the King shouldn't bother hanging out with a cripple. I know that, but...why do I feel so alone? I have Evie and Roland. They're my friends, but I can't be with them 24/7. Back then, John would always be there for me. No matter what, he'd be on my side.

"This won't stop us. It's gonna be okay! We'll get through this."

"Hey, cheer up! I'll get you refreshed and caught up in no time!"

"I know it's tough, but stay strong okay?"

"Everything takes time...I'll be here."

Maybe I was depending on him too much. Maybe I deserve being shunned by him. Come to think of it, he never asked me about my past and trusted that I would tell him at the right time. But I...

"I trusted you!"

Still, if he really wanted me to be on my side, he should've let me help him. He had the chance to talk to me about it. I gave him all the chances I could, but he let every one of them slip away. Why? Is his past that bad that he doesn't even want to look back at all?

I sighed. I'm so confused. Should I even put up the effort to think about what's happening to him? He'll just push me away and tell me to stop prying into his past.

Suddenly, the bell rang. I hurried up the stairs to the roof and opened the door. Good. There was no one here. Usually, there's this one guy who constantly comes up here to kick off low tiers and mid tiers off the roof. But I guess since class is in session, he can't. I walked over to the wired fence and sat down on the floor.

There's still other things I'm wondering about. Like Terrence. The guy seems like any other mid tier, but I get the feeling that he's involved in my ability loss. I also heard from Arlo that his ability is invisibility and I made the connection with that to the mall incident.

"Hmm..."

CLICK!

I looked up to see the door open. A familiar face with blond hair and blue eyes appeared.

"Well, speak of the devil." I said. "That matched up way too perfectly."

"What? You were thinking of me?" Arlo grinned. "How interesting-"

"Ew. Arlo, no." I made a disgusted face.

"Come on. You know I was joking." He walked over to where I was and stood next me, leaning on the wired fence with his arms crossed. "You're skipping class again, I presume?"

"Yeah. It's just a review day anyway. And you know that I'm fine with any schoolwork." I turned my head to him. "Why're you here? I didn't think you were the type to skip class."