Scattered Ideas

*Alex in Picture*

      Walking in the restaurant Dessiah and Paris took a seat at a nearby table. There was a wall that looked like vending machines. Small windows with food inside like, fries, sandwiches, and more. In fact it was, to an extent because once you input money in the machine the window would open and it was fresh food given to you that was prepared by the kitchen behind the wall. Dessiah was intrigued and fascinated by this process.

   Paris selected curry shrimp cabbage over rice, while Dessiah chose teriyaki salmon with broccoli. Although it was somewhat early they sat on metal stools looking at patrons rushing through the streets.

“Do you like it?” Paris asked watching.

“Yea I do its really good. How about yours?”

“The Bomb as usual!”

“Thank you for today Paris you’ve been so kind to me.” Dessiah looked in her eyes to show the sincerity from her heart.

“Don’t worry about it girl I had someone do it for me when I came to work for Simmons & Son. Believe me I almost quit numerous times so I understand.”

“What is his problem? Why is he so mean?”

“Who Mr. Simmons? He’s not that bad believe me.” Dessiah looked up from her plate and stared at Paris in disbelief.

“Hahaha don’t look at me like that I’m serious. Detrick has his moments but under it all he’s…. he’s a…” Paris looked in the distance and became teary eyed. It was peculiar to see how her demeanor changed when defending Detrick. She snapped out of her thoughts when she noticed Dessiah was hanging onto her every word. Paris smiled nervously and attempted to change the subject. “Anyway how old is your daughter?” Dessiah noticed the shift in conversation but decided to roll with it. She didn’t want to pressure Paris to elaborate on Detrick and make her uncomfortable especially since she did everything to make Dessiah feel welcomed.

“She’s 5 and a half. She’ll be 6 in a couple of months. Matter of fact she’ll be spending her birthday here.” Dessiah reached for her phone to show Paris Delaney’s picture.

“Oh my goodness she is too precious. How do you ever tell her no?”

“With my eyes closed. Those dimples get me every time.” They laughed. “Do you have any kids?” Dessiah asked.

“No not yet but one day I hope to have two. My boyfriend Alec wants six but aint nobody got time for dat ahaha.” Paris showed his picture. Dessiah tried to hold her gasp at how attractive he was out of respect. So she just stared in silence. He stared at Paris in the picture in complete admiration. His beautiful tan skin, bright blue eyes, and blonde shaved hair made him look like something to drool over. It was evident that he was tall, much taller than Paris. He stared at her and she smiled with pride in the camera while in his arms. Dessiah had never seen love in a picture like this before. Not even her own wedding pictures made you feel warm inside. It always seemed like Daryl wasn’t all there with her. Maybe that was the red flag she ignored. Eve had it right when she said Love is blind.

“Girl you wanna wipe your mouth drooling over my man? Haha” Paris said smiling. Dessiah looked away embarrassed.

“I’m sorry. My bad it’s just… he’s so..”

“Scrumptious, delicious, thank the Lord fine? Yes I know. That’s nothing his heart is even more beautiful than his outward appearance. I never thought I’d have someone love me in the way that he does but when God shows you your worth and who you are, believe him. God showed me who I was and that helped me to accept nothing less than what I deserved. Then he came along and showed me that all those years of pain and feeling unwanted were worth it because now I know and appreciate real love.