(9.11.18) Meadows - M, 5.8k [A*]

[Sequel to Coffee - "She doesn't need a Godly light on her—because she is one, all on her own..."]

Your parent's bedroom door closes, and now you're alone in front of the television. What are you watching again? You click on the remote beside you, and check the guide. Right. Celebrities Underwater. "Hey Tori?"

"Yeah?" you yell towards their room.

"Do you have that play tomorrow? Or is it next week?"

You roll your eyes. Of course your dad wouldn't remember, even after explaining the schedule to him once he saw the calendar. "Rehearsal's tomorrow and the play's next week," you answer.

"Alrighty then. Goodnight sweetie!"

"Night!"

The house is quiet again, and your still wondering why on Earth you're watching this show instead of doing something more productive. Like...watching tutorials on YouTube. That would be more productive.

As you null over the thought, there's a knock on the door. Or you could answer it, and be useful that way. Leaving the remote where you left it, you shuffle to the door and fiddle with the loose string of your shirt that has been bothering you for the past week. When you pull the door open, you find yourself stunned.

Jade.

You bring a smile to your face, eyes following the nervous, anxious lines along her face. "Can I come in?" she asks, hoarsely.

"Uh, sure, yeah..." She's never asked before, and you wonder. You add a gentle, "Come in," as she brushes past you. The door is then shut, and locked; you remember your mom telling you to do so before she turned in, her mind on the crazy new neighbor across the street. You turn around, finding Jade glaring towards the screen. You didn't think she'd like the show. You ignore it too, settling beside her without ignoring the remote—which you set onto the coffee table over some of Trina's catalogues.

"How are you?"

You barely miss it. Again, she's seldom ever asked you, but you take it greedily anyway.

"I- oh, um...fine." You then try to forget the past few weeks, and then add, "Good, I think." Your eyes dart over towards her, and you think you see a hint of a smile through her slumped figure, hands working together into a ball.

It deepens into a smirk as she asks, "So bashing Ryder in front of everybody helped?" You give a laugh at that, recalling how small he looked at the side of the stage, even compared to Robbie.

With that embedded in the forefront of your mind, you nod. "Yeah. I guess so."

"Wouldn't be the first time." The smile across your lips falters, and you frown. For conformation, you glance briefly at her, only to find a familiar, scheming glint in her eyes. It wasn't violent, or even wicked by any means, but an idea was definitely brewing in the back of Jade's mind. You slump over, nervously rubbing the back of your neck. She did this on purpose, and it wasn't fair. We're not going to talk about this... floats amongst your thoughts and you can't help but close your eyes.

That night comes quickly, whether you liked it or not. Hot breaths, a cold room and your noisy bed comes to mind first. And then all the other pieces you clung onto, despite Jade's wishes.

Which she obviously threw out the window too.

But, even so, you mutter, "You said we weren't going to talk about it." Jade is silent, and for once this week you don't want her to be so. "Jade," you try again, opening your eyes and looking at her, "why are you here?"