(6.9.18) Waking Nightmares - T, 2.7k [C]

["'That's not the point. You died - that's the scary part...'"]

Sweat beaded from her temple, trailing down her cheek and neck. Being backed into a corner generally was one of the worst things that could happen to somebody's ego - and for one's survival, though Tori knew high-school-ers rarely thought that way. And, this wasn't a normal circumstance: The ground shook and creaked below her feet, all while her friends cowered around her, the red glowing eyes of a large, black beast glaring down at them.

Cat had screeched, holding her purple giraffe whose body now more resembled a lanky horse, its head still caught in the monster's mouth.

Beck remained stock-still, lips pursed to retain his own scream; he remained adamant that the monster would attack at any noise.

Andre began rambling, wide-eyed like his grandmother.

Robbie pissed himself while holding Rex - whose plastic face remained slacked, mouth open - in his arms.

Jade was the only one watching the monster carefully, her scissors clutched in her fists whilst her other grip was tight around Tori's wrist.

And Tori, while the monster grinned down at her, felt herself melt to the floor.

The monster snarled menacingly, snapping with its long fangs, "If you don't crumble with the school, you'll crunch in my mouth!" Everybody didn't want to take the chance. In pairs - Andre with Beck, Cat with Robbie and Tori siding with Jade - they darted everywhere the could manage. The first pair hurled themselves over the stair railing; Cat and Robbie bolted between the monster's legs, after the awkward boy ran into the lockers; the last two sprinted down the hall after Jade threw the scissors at the monster's face. It shrilled loudly, backing away on its purple hooves. "You'll pay for that you rotten squirrel!"

Jade and Tori were unfazed, hurtling over the lockers as they tumbled to the ground. Tori thought of herself competing valiantly in the Olympics. "Jade!" she wheezed as they neared the back stairs, which were used far less than the ones in the main hall. "We need to get rid of that thing! I have a paper to write for Mr. Wentworths!"

"Yeah," Jade agreed in a gruff voice, "and I need to polish my scissor collection. I can't do it with that thing chasing us."

The ground trembled once again, the lights flickering above them. "Let's go upstairs! Maybe we can escape the monster and earthquake there!" Jade nodded in agreement before pushing Tori along, their steps determined to reach the safe-haven that was only a few more feet away.

The stairs collapsed into a ramp, sending both the girls groaning on their hinds. "Jade!" Tori shrieked, clutching the other's bicep tightly. "We're slipping!"

"Of course, you dumb-ass!" was the only thing hollered back as they rocketed down the stairs, the floor below opening. The girls tumbled through the trap door, the mouth then closing moments later. The room was dark aside the eerie green glow. Jade took out a long flashlight from her back pocket, flicking it on to allow a bright, pink beam of light into the shadows. "We're underneath the school."

"Of course, you dumb-ass!" Tori parroted. Jade gave a stern glare over her shoulder, rolling her eyes once she earned a shrug.

"Anyway, we're underneath the school. Do you hear that?" Tori paused listening to the thundering, constant stream of boom! ringing in her ears. She nodded as Jade flashed her light towards the edge of the room. There was a door, a long, wooden one with foggy glass. Tori squinted before moving forward, noticing printed words on the glass; the door read: