(2.4.18) Betting on the Devil - M, 8.5k [Sm]

["...her need to have caramel skin against her own [consumed] her thoughts - the prospect of money was long gone."]

She ignored the bell as her locker was shut tightly, only the gargantuan, brown bag slung over her shoulder. Her pocket sounded, leading her gaze to the device set to the front of her thigh. Furrowing her brows, the teen - as people stormed passed with the aroma of lunch in their dwelling thoughts - glanced over the illuminated screen. Shaking her head, she shoved it to her back pocket, not caring for the weather alert.

"Tori!" She turned and gave a small smile to her sister who waddled over. "Did you see the substitute for calculus today? God he's so perfect!" she squealed half-heartedly, the other rolling her eyes.

"No, and I'm not taking calculus, remember? That's for next year," Tori muttered blandly, adding, "but have you heard anything from Andre? He's been sick all week and I need someone to do Sikowitz's project with me."

Snorting, the elder sibling answered, "No, why should I? He's your friend."

"Trina, I'm serious, he's been having this stupid flu for nearly a week now. I swear he needs to go to the hospital," the half-Latina hummed.

Trina - dully rummaging through her purse - muttered, "Is it that bad?"

"Yeah, though he thinks he himself can take care of it."

"That's funny," the sister mumbled, side-stepping once a large tuba jogged past, "all of the dudes I know are real wimps about it." Tori took a brief moment to null over the thought, shrugging.

She, once beginning her journey to the Asphalt Café, offered, "I don't think there's a middle ground for them... Either really wimpy or really 'tough.' But then again, girls aren't much better."

"How so?" Trina followed, giving short strides with the flop of her loose shoes passed the swarm of students.

"Oh come on. If dudes are wimps or tough about it, girls will exaggerate the two even more," Tori smirked, adding, "I feel like the only people who know how to handle stuff properly are doctors."

"Dad's fine with it."

Tori shook her head, replying, "He doesn't get sick that often. That, and you do remember when he got Valley Fever and didn't go into the hospital until he was literally on Death's door don't you?" When no answer came, she turned around to find Trina hesitantly shrugging. "And you did nearly burned the coffee table when you stubbed your toe this morning," she added with a sly grin.

"I nearly had my nail torn off! And I accidentally hit my tail with it!" Trina explained quickly before her eyes darted around, not catching anybody possibly hearing her slip.

"Right, that's an excuse to make toast like the book shelf."

The elder sister scoffed, growling, "That was on accident! I didn't mean to..."

"Remind me never to get you pissed during one of your cycles," Tori mumbled, adding a quick "Bye!" before leaving her sister in the middle of the hall; it wasn't like she was missed, Trina was engrossed into conversation with Isabelle anyway. She rolled her eyes, crossing the hall before feeling her shoulder swing around from another force.

Staggering, the half-Latina apologized as a sharp "Watch it Vega!" came.

"I said 'sorry,'" Tori answered meekly as another teen, clad with black jeans and a grey shirt, took to her side. "Anyway, did you get the essay done for Sikowitz?" she asked. With her brows furrowed, she brought her hands to her hips. "Jade?"