Promise

Sophie smiled nervously. Holding onto his hand tightly as he confirmed that he would go.

"I'll try. For you."

Now what was that supposed to mean? Her mind couldn't understand it but for some reason it made her heart flutter, her cheeks warming at his small smile.

"Keefe?" An uncertain voice chippered, calling out softly.

Sophie turned to where the voice had come from, surprised to see a little girl in a blue dress. She'd hardly noticed her. For some reason she looked slightly familiar...

"Are you really leaving," the little girl wandered close too Keefe who looked at her with gentleness. Wrapping her into a warm hug.

Sophie's heart tripped over herself as Keefe leaned down to whisper too the little girl, who knew he was so great with kids? He'd be a great father... not that she thought about that sort of thing!

"Kye this is Foster, the girl I've told you about." Sophie's cheeked warmer once again, blushing as Kye looked over her carefully. Cutely analyzing her every feature. Who knew she could make a little kid suspicious?

"Hello." Sophie said, leaning down so she could look Kye straight in the eye, which looked achingly familiar. Seriously had she met this girl before?

"Are you going to take Keefe away?" Kye asked, a sadness too her voice, perhaps even a note of hopelessness. Which left Sophie to wonder how to console such a child. But she didn't have too, because a second later Keefe stepped.

"I will be back to visit you and your family. I promise." Keefe said, kneeling down as well, an arm around Kye's shoulder as a tear slid down her face.

Sophie's heart clenched at the emotion, could she really take Keefe away from such a wonderful home? A family?

"Keep your other promise too, okay?" Kye said, glancing at Sophie and than back to Keefe, a hidden message in her words.

But why had she looked at her?

Keefe are you sure you want to go? Sophie transmitted, part of her wanted to lit herself for asking the question but she knew she had to give hm that choice. Because if you love som- Wait. What? Okay she was tossing that thought out. Way out.

I'm sure Foster. We need to beat my mom, not just wait in the shadows, there was a confidence too Keefe's thought, a line of warmth that made her heart stir in her chest. But that's why it hurt even more when Kye doubled over crying.

"I. Don't. Want. You. To. Go." She sobbed, Keefe caught her, holding her as she continued crying, leaving Sophie feeling useless till an idea sprung into her mind. And however wild and risky it was... for some reason she just couldn't think logically anymore. So before she could change her mind she reached out with her mind. Silveny. She transmitted, reaching her consciousness out. Silveny!!! She imagined her mind like a hawk soaring through the air, looking for there next meal. SILVENY!

SOPHIE! SAFE? Her transmissions were loud, worried, but a small bit of curiosity hinges on it as well.

SAFE. Sophie transmitted back, and than took in the surroundings around her, Keefe looked up at her confused, as is wondering what she was doing.

Sophie transmitted a picture of the place around her and Silveny got the message as soon as she said, KEEFE!

~~~

"You want to see an alicorn?" Sophie asked, watching as Kyes eyes turned huge.

"You can do that?" Kye squeaked, glancing around as if she thought an alicorn would appear, which of course that's exactly what happened a second later.

Keefe stared as Silveny hopped through the void and into the yard, flying iver to them. Kye stood in awe as Silveny walked over and knelt beside her, Nuzzling her neck. Kye giggled at this, a content smile on her face, "I love alicorns." She murmured with closed eyes, hugging Silveny.

Sophie smiled, she couldn't offer much but she could spend just enough time to give Kye a new smile and memory. And since she was so young others would excuse her declarations about seeing an alicorn. So hopefully no one else was looking...

Something tapped her shoulder and she turned around too see Keefe shaking his head at her, a smirk on his lips.

"Did you seriously call Silveny over just so you could cheer up Kye?" His smugness faltered when she nodded, a hint of fondness in his eyes that dashed away so quickly she wondered if she had imagined it.

"I hope she doesn't want to ride. I don't think Silveny can stay that long." Sophie said and Keefe shook his head.

"Don't worry she's scared of heights but she's always wanted to meet one. In fact that's the first story I told her about us. When we rode on Silveny." Keefe spoke softly, as if in a daze.

"We should go." Sophie said after a few minutes of watching Kye and wondering what Keefe was thinking about but couldn't seem to ask, what if she was intruding?

"Okay. Just let me talk too Kye for a second."

~~(Keefe's perspective)~~

He walked over too Kye, leaning down till they were at eye level. Silveny kneaded the grass next to them, if there was any way for an alicorn to smile she certainly fit the picture. Kye looked at him uncertainly, her smile fading as he opened his mouth to speak.

"I have to go now Kye." His voice wobbled as he spoke, heart twisting in emotion.

"Why?" She asked, her sparkling blue eyes looking into his.

"You remember how I told you my mom got into trouble?" He paused as she nodded quickly. "Well I have to go help her with that, she's hurt a lot of people."

Kye bit her lip adorably, "you can do it Keefe." But still his fist clenched at her sadness, what could he do to help her?

"After a little while. When it's safe, I'll come see you again. Would you like that?" Kye nodded, "bring Foster again. And tell her you like her. You promised so you have too." Keefe sighed, he had not been in his right mind when he did that. This girl had him wrapped around his little finger.

He'd known her only a week and yet... she was like family, she felt more like family than his parents at least. He was going to miss her.

But maybe he could leave her something to remember him by.

He dashed over to his bag, picking it up and rushing back. Kye watched him with wide eyes as he took Mrs. Stinkybottom out of his bag and placed her into Kyes arms.

"Take care of her for me, I'll say hello when I visit." He paused to hug Kye, swiftly and than fished the rest of the human money out of his pocket and handed it too Kye. "Tell you parents thank you, and that i will be back someday soon. Give this money to them, but don't tell them about Foster. I'm trusting you here Kye," hesaid. And wondered if he was putting to much pressure on her, but as she nodded he knew he could trust her, and he would be back. Closer than ever.

"I have something for you too. Kye whispered, pulling something flat out of her pocket and handed it to him.

And that's when he couldn't breathe, because what she'd just handed him was... wow.

It was a drawing of him and her the night she came to his bedroom scared of the dark. He stared at it, the vivid scene alive on paper. This was no simple painting done by a kid, this was... amazing. But something felt off about it, familiar even. Strange. But he couldn't quite place it, instead he hugged Kye one last time, a sad smile on his face as they both tightened there grip on each other, a silent promise that they would never forget each other.

Finally he pulled away, "I'll miss you." He said softly, and than took Fosters hand, realizing he'd hardly said a word since she took Silveny here. Which reminded him, Silveny had left... hopefully she was safe at home. He'd check once he got there, wow did he have lots to think about now.

And yet he couldn't tear his gaze away from Kye as Sophie held her home crystal up to the sky and he glimmered away.

But before he did he had one single thought,

I will be back.