Questions

"I'm going to go look around." Keefe said quickly, "take care of Kye." Sophie nodded, turning too the child who held tight onto Mrs.Stinkybottm as Keefe walked away towards the house.

"Is Keefe gonna find my mommy?" Kye asked her eyes wide and shrill voice almost a squeak.

"He's going to try." Sophie said, silently promising to do all she could too get them back. She predicred that the Neverseen has taken them but they did need further evidence. And it would be nice if they knew why they'd taken the family and yet left Kye. Sympathy welled up inside her as she looked at Kye, she would have to be so brave. Like Sophie her parents had been taken but at least she was older and had her new parents and other friends. Kye was all alone.

She has Keefe, a voice inside her mind reminded her. That was very true, he'd cared about her before they even knew they were related, they seemed to have a strong bond. Keefe would help Kye through it, that was sure, hopefully it wouldn't be so stressful, Keefe would probably still be trying to fathom that he had a sister who his mom left.

She really does look like Keefe... Sophie realized, even if they only shared half the genes she could see it in the little girl's eyes, although she didn't have ice blue like her older brother hers was a smoother sort, perhaps a navy blue?

Sophie shook her head, she shouldn't be thinking about such simple things, she might as well try to learn what happened here. She knelt down to where Kye sat hugging Mrs.Stinkybottom. For a second she paused to ponder whether Kye was truly a telepath as Keefe thought so, she'd have to figure that out later.

"Do you remember me? I'm the one who came to get Keefe." Came to take him away... what if she'd never gone to get Keefe? Would he have protected the family? Would the Neverseen never have come or would they have taken him as well? But than she thought of something even worse, something that made her blood turn cold.
What if the only reason they knew where Kyes family was, was because she went to get Keefe?

"You're Foster." Kye mumbled, interrupting her thoughts and fixing a thoughtful look on her.

Right. Questions first, mind breaking guilt later... or hopefully never.

"Yes that's right." Sophie said and forced a smile, wondering if Kye even knew her first name. The thought made her insides feel all jumbled up for some reason.

"What do you remember happening?" Sophie asked gently, Kye thought on this for a few seconds before opening her mouth to recount the events.

"I was sleeping for awhile." Kye started, a distant look in her eyes as she squeezed the gulon in her arms and than put it down.

"Than I woke up and there was this guy. And I saw a woman in the other room. He was standing right in front of me and was going to pick me up. But than lady said "Not her. Not yet." And I was really sleepy so I could hardly move." Kye paused, and Sophie watched her, she was truly showing an amount of courage. But her words... it had probably been Gisela. Keefe's mom. Actually Kyes mom as well now that she thought about it... that would take some getting used too. But she'd said... not yet. Meaning they planned too in the future. And they'd probably drugged Kye or something so that she couldn't stop them. But still... why leave Kye and take her family?

"Do you remember anything else?" Sophie asked, and Kye nodded.

"The person who woke me up said that I had a lot of potato." She said with a proud look in her eye, but Sophie was just as confused.

"Potato? The vegetable?" Sophie asked and Kye shook her head.

"No. Potential! He also told me what it meant. But I like potato's better." She chirped, a smile appearing on her face and than sinking away.

"I saw my mommy. The other lady was carrying her. And the disappearing guy got my brother. I don't know who carried my dad." Kye said, a puzzled look on her face that drifted to sadness.

Sympathy arose inside Sophie once more, so did that mean there were three elves who came? Or four? She'd have to see Kyes memories later, after she explained what she was doing... maybe they wou-

Wait.

Suddenly Kyes words caught up with her.
Kye had said "disappearing guy." So did that mean...

Yes, there were lots of vanisher, more than Sophie had met. But... there was only one vanisher that came to mind when she thought about it. One that was highly skilled, had spent time with other species and sometimes worked with the Neverseen. And unless they had found someone to replace him...

But that would mean...

Was Alvar alive?