Bitterness

Keefe paced back and fourth inside the house, it practically looked untouched, and yet he could still see remnants of an apparent Neverseen attack. You just had to know where too look.

What would've happened if he stayed?
Could he have protected them? Or would he have helped the Neverseen... his mom certainly had a plan to control him. He couldn't let it work. Whatever it was... he had to prove it to be a flop.

But what about Kye?

Bitterness swelled up inside him as he walked inside her room, finding a bag too pick up some clothes and such, she would be coming home with them. Of course he didn't know where she would stay but... he would never abandon her.
Not like his mother, his father.

He paused as he approached Kyes mirror, taking a second to glance at his reflection. His shoulders were slumped, a slight frown on his lips and pale cheeks. His hair was blonde like his fathers, with emaculate features that had a familiarity to his mother. Next too the mirror was a picture of Kye with her family, smiling, arms around each other. Had that ever happened for him?

Might not ever happen for her again, he realized.

Kyes family might... no.

He couldn't think about that right now.

But... how could he stop thinking about it when it was his parents fault?

His mother was a villain, a murder, a manipulator,
She experimented on him and threw out her daughter, what kind of person does that? But of course that could just be another part of her evil plan, Keefe kicked the mirror, shaking his head.

Why did he have to have such a terrible family?

He'd known a long time how horrible his father was, the unrealistic expectations, rebukes, all that lovy-dovy stuff. But abandoning a child? Yeah maybe he knew Kye wasn't his. And maybe he had taken her too the black swan. But that's all
He did, he didn't ask to be informed what happened to her, he didn't show any concern when they learned she might be in danger... all he did was ask for no responsibility in what happened to her. He bargained with lives, first Sophie's parents and now Kyes family. Who knew... what if they'd come minutes earlier? Could they have stopped them? Would they still be there? End up there in time?

He'd never know.

But... was this really who his parents were?

If his parents were so horrible how could he be any better? He'd never wanted to be like his father. That want had only grown over time, and it seemed like his instincts were right about now wanting to please his mom and dad. But it's still hard, processing everything.

Don't do that, he reminded himself, he had to get out of his head.

Time to take care of Kye.

~~~

"So what did you see?" Sophie asked as he walked out, a clearly forced smile on her face. Kye sat nearby, holding Mrs.Stinkybottom and talking to him.

"Some messed up sheets, misplaced items, but I only know that since I came here before. I grabbed Kye some clothes to take her back with us." Keefe said and Sophie's eyes rounded at his last words, what had she thought they'd do with her?

"Okay well Kye told me what she think happened," Sophie said, she paused, watching him carefully as if a question on her mind.

"What?" Keefe asked as her eyes continued to search him, but he must have been louder than he had too because a second later she looked away.

"Nothing, ill tell you what Kye said," Sophie said and continued to explain the memories.

He nodded at her recount, till she came across the part about the disappearing person,

"You think Alvar is alive?" Sophie asked quietly, as if realizing his thoughts.

"I don't know, maybe they were just blinking? Or perhaps they have a new member." He speculated, the first wasn't very likely and the second wasn't something he wanted to happen but... He couldn't believe that Alvar was back with them. He looked practically dead back when he last saw him... right?

"Do you think Fitz was right?" Sophie asked, panic riveting off her emotions.

"Right?" Keefe asked, he knew what she meant but he had to get to the base of it to help her.

"About Alvar. Should we have not let him go?"
She looked scared this time, a convicted look in her eyes as he reached for her hand, when they connected a surge of emotions bubbled up inside him and rippled off of her. Seems like his empathy was strengthening back up again...

"I think we made the best choice fosboss." He said, her cheeks turning pink at the name. Amusement crossed his emotions as he let go of her hand and lifted an eyebrow, smirking.

"Hey Foster that wasn't even much of a tease and I already got you too blush? You'll be falling for
me in no time." He said and watched as she crinkled her nose, her still pink cheeks darkening.

"No way Keefe, besides I'm so clumsy so makes sense why I would fall," Sophie said sounding quite proud of herself for the joke.

"Awww is my sweet little Foster making jokes of her own? Leave it too the Keefester, trust me." He said and winked,

Sophie rolled her eyes, "and what exactly are you going to do with this ability?"

"Why make you blush of course!" He shouted his smirk Lessening to a smile. "That's my life quest Foster." He said seriously, his smile gone as he nodded mockingly. She snorted.

"Well I hardly think th-"

"Well what do we have here?" A familiar voice interrupted Sophie's words,

Uh oh.