Clueless

Chapter 11

Sophie paced back and fourth by the healing center, Grady and Elwin were inside with Edaline while she waited for news.

Edaline had been attacked by the Neverseen. How did they know that? They copied Sophie's signature and added one of there own. All she could think about was the fact that this was there revenge.

From something she started.

So it was her fault that Edaline was unconscious, her fault that she'd been weighting a whole eight hours for any news, her fault that they had found her in a pool of blood. And worst of all it was her fault she wasn't in there, she couldn't face Edaline unconscious knowing what she had done too her.

"It's not your fault Blondie." Ro whispered from next to her, "I've seen that look on Keefe's face enough times to know you're blaming yourself. And don't tell him this but it always gets me so worried, he doesn't deserve as much harm as he gets." Ro said, there was a softness to the way she spoke, even if her eyes held no emotion, Sophie was in awe of the concern Ro was showing.

"I never knew you cared so much." Sophie said quietly, looking at Ro as she never had before. Under the gruff, jokey
personality there was still a sheen of care. Funny thing is that was similar to Keefe too.

"Yeah I do. But seriously, you tell Keefe and amoebas are going to be your new best friend." Ro said somewhat menacingly but also with a gleam of warmth in her eyes.

"Note taken. Though... that's assuming we find Keefe." Sophie said doubtfully.

"Oh come on, Keefe can't keep himself away from you forever. He needs you Blondie. And that's no joke."

Sophie looked at her doubtfully, raising an eyebrow.

"Well I don't thi-"

"You ever wonder why he only sent a note to you?" Ro interupted, an emotion she couldn't decipher in her eyes.

Sophie shrugged, "he said he ran out of paper." She mumbled, it was a poor excuse but it was all she had.

"Why do you think?" Sophie asked, surprised when Ro's eyes gleamed with defiance.

"Oh I don't think Blondie, I know why." She said but didn't offer out any explanation.

Sophie rolled her eyes, she could certainly trust ogres to be vague.

But... it did bring to mind a question. Why did Keefe bring it to her? He could've given it to anyone. Fitz, Biana, Dex. Even just left it at Elwin's house, so why had he addressed it too her?

Maybe he-

"Wow. You really are oblivious aren't you?" Ro said, interrupting her thoughts.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sophie asked, now curious. Everyone seemed to say that to her nowadays. And usually in reference to Keefe. But... why?

Unless...

Nah... it couldn't be. Because it was Keefe and this was who he was and there was no way he...

Keefe was a jokester. A prankster. He flirts, he laughs. It was all for laughs, no serious feelings... right?

But still memories flashed across her mind, it wasn't always jokes. Sometimes it had a seriousness to it, a fondness, meaning. But that was only because of friendship. Right? Cause they were good friend. Close friends. But that was all.

And that's all it would ever be.

Even if part of her wi-

"Sophie. Edalines waking up, you can come in now." Elwin said from the door, a nervous smile on his face.

"Okay." Sophie said, trying to concentrate. Wondering now how she could've been thinking about Keefe having a crush at a time like this. It was ridiculous! There was no way he liked her. Shaking her head she laughed to herself, wondering how she could be so crazy to think Keefe liked her.

No way in the world, she'd bet Ella on it.

"I'm coming in," Sophie said and walked forward to see Edaline blinking her eyes open with Grady next to her a kind smile on his lips.

"Sophie's here now, you've got the whole family together." Elwin said, as Sophie crossed over towards her parents.

But instead of the joyous smile Sophie had grown to expect Edaline looked up at him confused, as if she couldn't understand what he was saying.

"Who's Sophie?"