•••

an hour had passed, and the three were still in the car. scott still hadn't contacted stiles or riley, and derek was looking worse by the second.

to scott: derek is getting worse. hurry.

riley sighed, leaning her head on her hand as she stared out the window. if you had told her last year, this would be her life? she'd have called you a psycho.

after riley texted scott, about forty-five minutes had passed without even a text back. derek was mumbling indistinctly, stiles was trying to stay calm, and riley was becoming impatient. she grabbed her phone again, texting scott.

to scott: hello?? are you alright?? call me.

an hour had passed, before stiles finally became fed up, as he pulled over onto the side of the road, and started spazzing on scott via voicemail. about five minutes later, the phone started ringing, causing everyone to jump, and derek to groan from the noise.

stiles snatched it up, putting it on speaker as he answered. "how's derek?" scott asked, as soon as riley could hear. "he's dying. how do you think?" riley snapped, with a sigh of distress. "i'm working on it." scott replied calmly.

yeah well work faster. riley thought.

"what are we supposed to do with him?" stiles asked through gritted teeth. "take him somewhere, anywhere!" scott exclaimed. riley could just picture his dumb look through the phone.

stiles sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose as he spoke. "and by the way, he's starting to smell." 

"like what?" scott asked in confusion. "like death." riley and stiles replied in unison.

scott didn't say anything for a moment, trying desperately to think of something.

riley sighed, looking back at derek. she didn't want him to die, even though he threatened to kill stiles. he only did it because he was scared. he didn't want to die.

"alright, take him to the animal clinic." scott finally spoke, making riley furrow her brows. "hey scott, i know he's a dog, but i don't think they'll treat him.." riley spoke with a straight face, causing stiles to snort. "

okay, what about deaton?" he asked. "he's long gone by now." scott replied. "there's a spare key in the box behind the dumpster."

stiles nodded, turning to derek, as he handed him the phone. "you're not going to believe where he told us to take you." he spoke.

derek ignored him, grabbing the phone, as he took it off speaker, pressing it to his ear. "did you find it?" he asked automatically.

"if you don't find it, then i'm dead. alright?" he spoke up after a pause.

"then think about this." derek sneered, as he paused for a moment. "the alpha called you out against your will. he's gonna do it again. next time, you either kill with him or you get killed. so if you want to stay alive, then you need me. find the bullet."

•••

stiles parked the jeep in front the animal clinic, as riley jumped out, running behind the dumpster to get the key. she scrounged around, finding it seconds later. she ran back to stiles and derek, unlocking the door to the clinic, as she pushed it open quickly.

stiles pulled the garage door up, as his phone began buzzing. he checked who the notification was from, just as derek fell on dog food, making riley laugh at the irony. "i'm sorry. i have a bad time processing emotions." the blonde replied, as she held a hand over her mouth, trying to stop herself from laughing.