Chapter 20: Taking Care of Buisness

Flame POV

Flame stared as Darksield stormed past them and down the hall. He had never seen Darksield that angry before. He glanced back toward the two ice dragons and saw that Terrador had dragged them to their feet and was marching the pair down the corridor. Flame didn't need to guess to know that they would be severely punished. Cynder looked like she wanted to go after Darksield, but Spyro held her back. He gave her a warning look. "Let him go; he needs some space."

Flame nodded. "I agree with Spyro. And I can't believe that he just saved us and took down those two ice creeps after telling us about the night his parents were killed. Not to mention that a fire scorpion managed to get into his world."

Cynder nodded. "Yeah, I don't understand how something like that could happen. I feel bad for him. Most people would have gone insane if they had experienced what he had at that age." She shook her head in amazement.

Flame nodded. "And then there was that solar flare weapon that he was talking about. I can't believe that he even managed to survive a solar flare and a fire scorpion. No wonder he didn't like to talk about what it was like back where he was from."

Cynder nodded in agreement. "When we were walking to Qrow's Tavern last night, I asked him about his dreams, and he said that he's had them before. When I asked, he got defensive all the sudden. Now I think I know why. No wonder he froze up when he faced that fire scorpion."

Flame glanced down the hall. "Should we go after him?" he asked. Spyro and Cynder nodded. "Let's go."

Ember POV

Ember was walking back to her room after a boring history lesson with Cyril, trying to think of a way to get Spyro to be hers. She was about to open her door when she saw a note stuck to her door by a dagger with a flame-shaped pommel. The blade was bright silver, and the hilt was black as midnight. She gingerly removed the blade and read the note:

Ember. Be nicer to Cynder and Flame, or I will have no choice but to take action. You have three days to change things or else you will see what my daggers look like after a nice red paint job. Tick tock.

-Mortifer

Ember set down the note and did the natural thing. She screamed and ran to get the guardians. Five minutes later, she returned with the guardians and showed them the note. Terrador read it, and an expression of horror crossed his face. "It's happened again. Mortifer has returned."

Ember looked scared. "Who is Mortifer?"

Cyril stepped in. "No one knows. Attempts have been made to catch him, but in the end, he always escapes. No one has even seen what he looks like."

"This can't be happening." Ember tried to rationalize. "It's probably just a trick by Cynder to get me away from my hero."

"I'm afraid you're wrong." Everyone turned as Streak walked over. "Cynder went down to the infirmary with Spyro, Flame, and Darksield after some sort of incident in the training room."

"Besides," Volteer added, "Mortifer was around before Spyro and Cynder even hatched. I remember the stories about him. He targeted dragons who unfairly judged others and killed them within three days if they didn't apologize. After the three days passed, then he didn't bother with warnings. As soon as they went back to their old ways, he killed them. And left a bloodstained dagger behind."

Terrador gave her a hard look. "Have you lately been unkind to dragons who didn't deserve your cruelty?"

She gulped. In fact, she had. "I must go right these wrongs. Before I become the next bloodstain on his dagger." She turned and ran down the hall.

Cynder POV

They found Darksield sitting alone in the mess hall at one of the tables. He nodded when he saw them. "Hey, guys." He sounded casual like they were meeting up for breakfast or something.

Cynder stared at him. "How are you so calm?" she demanded.

He shrugged. "I learned to master my emotions on the streets. Although sometimes they can still catch me off guard." He smiled grimly. "Hey. By the way, you owe me four now."

Her face turned red.

"Cynder, what is he talking about?" Spyro asked.

She sighed. "Apparently, he's keeping track of how many times he saved me."

Darksield shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a natural."

She scoffed, but her face turned serious. "Look. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your parents."

His face turned hard as stone. "Thanks," he said. Then he sighed. "Well, it's all in the past now. And on the bright side, now I have you guys." He spread his wings.

They all gave him a group hug. When they were done, they all separated.

"So, what do we do now?" Darksield asked.

Before Cynder could respond, she saw a glowing form flying toward them.

"Hi guys!" Sparx had arrived.

Darksield POV

Darksield groaned. Why did it have to be Sparx? WHY!

(A/N) Because it makes things more interesting.

I swear I'm going to kill you.

(A/N) If you try, I will have no choice but to stick you in a closet with Sparx for three hours.

Okay. I will not try to kill you.

(A/N) That's more like it. Now get back to the story.

Darksield watched silently as Spyro greeted his brother along with Flame. "So how was your trip, Sparx?" Flame asked the dragonfly.

Sparx shrugged. "It was cool. So how are my favorite world-saving buddies doing?" Then he saw Darksield. "Ah! Scary dragon!" He flew behind Spyro.

Darksield heard a snort of laughter and saw Cynder covering her mouth, trying not to laugh. Darksield grinned. He had an idea. He disappeared.

Sparx yelped. "Where did he go?"

Darksield appeared right behind Sparx and leaned forward. "Boo."

Sparx screamed like a little girl and shot off straight into a window.

Cynder burst out laughing.

Sparx peeled himself off the window and glared at Darksield. "Think that's funny?" he snapped.

Darksield nodded. "Yes. I do."

Sparx flew up in his face. "So where did Spyro find your ugly face?"

"Sparx!" Spyro protested, but Darksield waved him off.

"Nah, it's cool. He just likes to talk tough to things that terrify him."

"Ha!" Sparx laughed. "I'm not scared of you."

Darksield grinned evilly. Sparks shot from his eyes, and lightning curled around him.

Sparx yelped and backed away.

"You were saying?" Darksield asked innocently as the lightning faded away.

Sparx gulped and stayed silent.

"Thought so." Darksield turned toward the others as if nothing had happened. "So, you guys want to head over to Qrow's Tavern?"

They nodded.

"Race you!" he shouted and shot through an open window. He had a feeling that something interesting was going to happen.