Chapter 5: Hey, it's the guardian of lighting (Uh, oh).

Cynder POV

Cynder's eyes widened. "What?" she asked incredulously. "You said that you didn't want to meet him before. Why do you want to now?"

"Because," Wraith answered. She turned, and he was right behind her, visible this time. "I think that Volteer might be the most understanding out of all the guardians. Am I right?"

Cynder nodded. "You probably are." She motioned for him to follow her out into the hallway. He did.

"So where do you think Volteer is?" Wraith asked.

Cynder thought for a minute before saying, "I think he went to talk to the city guards to be on the lookout for you."

Wraith nodded. "So, when do you think he might get back?"

Cynder pondered this for a moment before responding, "I think he might be back soon. He may talk fast, but he can fly fast as well."

"Oh."

Wraith seemed to ponder this, but Cynder couldn't tell very well because of the mask covering most of his face.

"Alright," Wraith continued. "So, what do we do in the meantime?"

Cynder smiled. "Maybe we could—" She was cut off when they heard a door open. They both whirled around. Walking in through the open doors, sunlight streaming in behind him, was Volteer.

Wraith POV

Wraith looked around frantically for a shadow, but the light streaming in through the door took out all the shadows.

"Hello Cynder," Volteer called. "Good news. The guards—" Then he saw Wraith, and his eyes widened. "Ape!" He shot a bolt of lightning at Wraith. Time seemed to slow. Wraith could see the lightning bolt coming toward him. He knew that he wouldn't be able to dodge it, so he had to come up with something else. An idea shot through his head so ridiculous and crazy that it just might work.

He drew his sword and stabbed it into the ground just as the lightning hit. The bolt slammed into his gauntlet and traveled down it to the sword and from the sword into the ground. Cynder and Volteer stared at him in shock. Wraith grinned. The sword had acted like a lightning rod and sent the deadly electricity into the ground leaving Wraith virtually unharmed.

"How did you do that?" Cynder demanded.

Wraith shrugged and was about to respond when he saw Volteer charging up another lightning bolt. Cynder saw it too and shouted for Volteer to stop, but it was too late. Volteer had already launched the lightning bolt.

Wraith charged forward, quickly closing the gap between him and the lightning bolt. Just before it was about to hit, Wraith slid under it like a baseball player stealing a base. The lightning passed over him harmlessly and hit the wall behind him.

Volteer looked like he was about to shoot another lightning bolt, but Cynder stopped him. "Volteer, that's enough," she said sternly. "He hasn't done anything to you." Volteer closed his mouth and stopped charging a lightning bolt.

"My sincerest apologies, Cynder; I have no idea what came over me. It's just that that creature..." He pointed at Wraith. "...looks a lot like an ape."

Wraith groaned and face palmed. "Why do people keep on assuming I'm an ape?"

"Well, to be fair, you kind of look like one," Cynder pointed out. Wraith glared at her as he sheathed his sword.

"Gee, thanks," he said sarcastically. Then he glanced toward Volteer who was watching with an astonished expression.

"You can talk?" he asked. Wraith nodded. "This is amazing, most extravagant, most—"