Chapter 33: The Battle of Warfang

Cynder POV

Cynder and the others stood in front of Warfang's army and watched as a massive horde of apes marched toward them. As soon as Wraith had left (for reasons that she did not know), Terrador had ordered the rest of them to gather as many dragons as they could and tell them to assemble outside Warfang.

An hour later an army of cheetahs had arrived, led by Chief Prowlus. The moles had made several dozen catapults, which were now positioned behind the army.

Two more hours passed, and Aurora arrived with the students of the Academy, all of whom said that they wanted to help. They were stationed in the middle of the army. When Cynder went to see who had shown up, only two dragons were missing: Darksield and Ivy. She had expected Darksield to be gone, but she didn't get why Ivy was missing as well.

One more hour later, and the cheetah scouts reported a massive army of apes marching toward them with enormous golems stationed throughout the ranks. And now here they stood, watching the enemy advance.

Suddenly, a roar erupted from the enemy army, and apes charged forward while several dozen flying enemies took to the air above the charging apes. Cynder recognized them as wyverns. Several dragons rose into the air and flew to intercept them as the army of Warfang charged forward, Cynder and Spyro among those charging on the ground while Flame, Flare, and Streak flew in the sky toward the oncoming enemies.

The Battle of Warfang had begun.

Flame POV

The aerial forces of both armies engaged first. Almost immediately, Flame found himself fighting off wyverns left and right. He killed one with a blast of fire, dodged a tail swipe from a second, and cut down another with his claws.

Beside him, Flare and Streak were working as a team, Streak corralling wyverns with claws, wind, and aerial attacks so that Flare could blowtorch them with her fire. Flame glanced down and saw that the main bulk of both armies were engaged in claw-to-claw combat. Occasionally, he saw a blast of fire, ice, or electricity, but for the most part, he couldn't see the battle because of the smoke from fires accidentally started from a random fireball.

Flame turned his attention back to his aerial fighting and saw three more wings of wyverns and seven wings of Dreadwings. Way too many to handle. He turned in the air and saw that most of the other dragons were still struggling, except for a few. He turned his attention back to the oncoming enemies.

"Streak!" he shouted. "Flare!"

They glanced over, and he pointed out the cloud of enemies coming toward them. They flew over and hovered at his side. Together, they launched a hailstorm of fireballs and air spears at the oncoming attackers.

Fireballs slammed into Dreadwings, and air spears sliced through wyverns, but no matter how many attacks they launched, there were still too many.

Flame encased his claws in fire to increase his damage and started carving a path through the enemy. He was in the middle of spearing a wyvern through the heart when he spotted a Dreadwing bringing its claws down on Flare's neck. Before he could shout a warning, a streak of silver shot past the Dreadwing, and it fell out of the sky, cut neatly in two.

Flare POV

Flare turned to Streak to thank him for saving her, but Streak had a confused look on his face.

"That wasn't me." Flare was confused.

"Then who—" She suddenly spotted a wyvern launching itself at Streak, claws ready to kill. "Watch—"