Chapter 17: Lunch

Darksield POV

When they returned, Darksield was ready to go. They had a few more races, but Darksield dialed it down a bit so that he wouldn't crash into any more trees. He tied in most of the races with Streak, who turned out to be a better flyer than Spyro and Cynder. After the fifth race ended, Whiplash announced that it was time for everyone to head to lunch. Darksield hung back and let Ivy, Marsh, Flare, and Streak go ahead before following. Cynder, Spyro, and Flame ran up to him.

"Dude, are you alright?" Flame asked. "That looked pretty painful when you slammed through the tree."

Darksield laughed. "You have no idea."

They continued talking, mostly about how Darksield managed to break the sound barrier twice. Soon, they arrived in a massive hall. Dragons of all colors were sitting around at dozens of tables, chatting away as they ate their food. As Darksield surveyed the hall, he spotted a flash of pink.

Why does she have to be here?

Because it makes the story more interesting.

I hate you.

Quite whining and get back to the script.

So anyways, Darksield shook his head. He hoped he was imagining things. He glanced off to the side and noticed bins of food against one wall. "I'm guessing that's where we get our food?" he said to no one in particular.

Cynder nodded. "Come on." She and Spyro led the way over to the food. Darksield grabbed a plate and put a few pieces of meat on it along with a few juice boxes.

Juice boxes. Seriously?

Just get back to the script.

Fine.

He picked a table near the far side of the wall and sat down. Flame, Cynder, Spyro, Ivy, Marsh, and Streak came over and sat down next to him. He nodded at them and started eating. He saw another flash of pink. Terror flashed through him. "Spyro?"

Spyro looked over at him.

"Does Ember participate in the academy?"

He nodded. "Yes. Why?" He sounded nervous.

Darksield pointed.

Across the room, Ember was walking with a tray in her talons, clearly searching for Spyro.

Spyro looked panicked. "Oh no."

Ember noticed him and started toward their table, a seductive look on her face.

Darksield concentrated and disappeared. He heard several startled exclamations but didn't care. He did not want her to see him.

"Hi Spyro," she said cheerfully. She glanced at Cynder, surrounded by her friends. "What are you doing hanging around scum like her?"

Ivy, Marsh, Flare, and Cynder let out matching cries of anger.

Ember ignored them.

Darksield saw Flame watching Ember, a strange look on his face.

Ember ignored him, too. "Are you doing anything later, Spyro?" she asked cheerfully, seemingly oblivious to the death glares she was being given by Ivy, Marsh, Flare, and Cynder.

Spyro looked annoyed. "In fact, I am."

"Oh." Ember looked disappointed.

"I'm not doing anything later," Flame interjected.

Ember glanced at him. "Actually, I just remembered I have plans for tonight." She stalked off.

Darksield noticed Flame with a heartbroken expression on his face. Darksield turned visible again, eliciting several gasps from the others at the table.

"How did you do that?" Flare asked.

Darksield shrugged. "Shadow dragon, remember?"

"Oh." She looked down at her food and continued to eat.

Darksield glanced at Flame. "You like her, don't you?"

He stared at him. "How did you—"

"Figure it out?" Darksield finished. "Well, aside from the fact that you tried to get her attention, stared at her the whole time, and when she left, you had a heartbroken expression on your face? Hmmm. I have no idea how I figured it out."

Flame chuckled. "I'm that obvious?"

Darksield nodded. A few of the others nodded as well.

"You... kind of are," Marsh agreed.

Flame looked down at his food.

Darksield glanced over at Cynder. "Go on, say it."

She slammed a fist down on the table. "Why does she have to be such a jerk?" she demanded. "She thinks I'm moving in on Spyro or something."

Darksield glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "So... you and Spyro aren't a thing?"

She shook her head. "We were, but..." she hesitated and glanced at Spyro.

Spyro glanced down at his claws. "It didn't really work out."

"Oh." Darksield glanced at the others and guessed that they all knew this before. "So, Ember is being a jerk to you because she thinks that you might try to get back together with Spyro?"

She nodded.

"Hmmm." He thought for a moment. He grinned suddenly. "I think I might have a way to take care of Ember."

Just then, the bell rang. They all jumped.

"Looks like it's time to head to class,"Darksield said and scraped the rest of his food into a trash can. "Let's go."