Chapter 16: Flight Lessons

Darksield POV

After Ivy returned with the food, and a whole lot of questions that he had to evade, Darksield was starting to get a little irritated. When she finally ran out of questions, he finished his food and stood up.

"Well, I had better get going. See you all at the academy."

With that, he spread his wings, and shot off so fast that the wind from his wings knocked a chair over. He shot down the street and landed behind a house several miles away. From there, he cloaked himself in shadows and ran back toward Qrow's Tavern.

By the time he arrived, Cynder, Spyro, Flame, and Ivy were walking out. He crouched down, still invisible. They started heading in the direction of the academy. Soon they all arrived and split up, Flame heading in one direction with Spyro, Cynder and Ivy heading in another. He turned and walked after Flame and Spyro, summoning his shadow powers and teleporting around a bend in a corridor. He made himself visible and waited.

Spyro and Flame walked around the corner and stopped dead in their tracks. "Darksield, what are you doing here?"

He shrugged. "I followed you guys all the way here. It wasn't that hard." He pointed down the corridor. "I'm guessing flying class is that way?" They nodded, and the three of them set off down the hallway.

After numerous turns, they arrived at a door. They opened it to reveal an outside arena with nine hoops stationed on pillars. Darksield looked around. The grassy area around the arena was empty. Opposite that on the other side of the arena was a massive field easily 500 yards long.

"Where is everyone?" Darksield asked.

Spyro shrugged. "We're early. I thought you might want the chance to get used to the arena beforehand."

Darksield nodded his thanks and stepped into the arena.

Flame POV

As soon as he entered, Darksield took to the sky. He flew around in a circle, gaining speed until he was a dark blur. Flame was shocked. He had never seen someone move that fast before, and he had seen wind dragons his age fly in a full force gale.

He watched as Darksield slowed down, then flipped one of his wings against his body, spinning until he faced the ground. He extended both wings, halting his descent, and did a backward loop in the air. Then he flipped backward, spun around, and shot toward the ground at breakneck speed.

Flame gasped. He was sure that Darksield was going to break his neck, but at the last possible second, Darksield flared his wings and landed with a soft thud on the ground. He grinned.

"That. Was. Awesome!" Darksield said between breaths.

"How are you so fast?" Flame asked.

Darksield shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe it's because my body is built for speed or something like that."

Flame shrugged. "Maybe."

Before he could ask another question, he spotted Cynder, Ivy, Flare, and Streak flying down along with a bright silver dragon who had a trio of white horns on his head and a spear-like tail blade. Flame recognized him as the teacher, Whiplash.

"Alright then," Whiplash said in his army-like manner after landing along with the other students. "Everyone off to this side of the field. Today we will be testing your agility and speed."

As everyone moved off to the side, Whiplash noticed Darksield. "You there!" he barked. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Darksield straightened. "My name is Darksield, sir. I am the new recruit sent here by the guardian Volteer."