Walking & Wading

Kate led Rick back to the bedroom, while she kept a firm, but gentle grip on his hand. She walked with him to the sliding glass doors, and released her grip to open them. She stepped out onto the patio that surrounded the pool, and looked out to the ocean that was only a distance of yards away. Kate watched from where she stood as the waves rolled in and out. She turned to Rick, with excitement in her eyes.

                “Look how beautiful that is, Castle.” She said, referring to the beach. “I can’t wait to get out there.” She grinned, turning back to continue enjoying the sound of the waves. He agreed that it was a really great view, and was looking forward to getting closer. He was almost ready to go, but realized he was still wearing what he had worn overnight.

                “Hey, do you mind if I change out of these pajamas real fast?” He asked her, stepping back towards the door.

                “Yeah, sure, go ahead.” She answered without breaking her gaze at the ocean. Castle stepped back inside and rummaged through his clothes in the closet that was still open from Beckett’s rush earlier. He pulled out a pair of shorts and a light shirt and went to change in the bathroom. He chuckled at the growing pile of dirty clothes on the floor. He left it there, adding to the pile with his clothes, too. When he had changed, he met Beckett back out on the patio. She turned when she heard him step out.

                “You ready?” She asked with a smile, looking over his choice of clothes. He had put on a nice ocean blue button down shirt, along with a tan-colored pair of shorts. His shirt was fully buttoned, except for the top couple, and he had rolled up his sleeves to his elbows. Both his and Beckett’s feet were bare. Castle had a smile on his face as he came up beside her and took her hand.

                “Ready.” He answered, starting down to the beach that wasn’t too far of a walk away. There were a lot of plants and palm trees that they passed around the house, which they thought were unique. The ground underneath them soon started to change from chalky concrete to soft sand as they got closer and closer to the oceanside.

                “Castle, look at the seagulls.” Beckett pointed out in the blue sky above, when she heard their calling. He looked up at them, straining to see in the bright sun.

                “Wow, you don’t see those much in New York.” He chuckled. “They seem to be a little nicer than our pigeons.” He said, trying to count in his head how many times he’s stepped in pigeon poop on the sidewalk.

                “Yeah, you’re right.” She agreed, squeezing his hand to a stop for a moment, taking in their beautiful surroundings now that they were on the beach itself.

                “This is beautiful,” Castle said as his eyes tried to take in the beauty of the beach. The sky was clear and blue, and it looked great against the fluffy tan sand that was smooth against his bare feet. He watched as the crystal ocean water rolled peacefully in and out, dazed by the repeated motion.

                “This is great,” Kate said, observing things just as much as he was. “C’mon, we’ve got to explore.” She smiled, squeezing his hand again. Castle broke his gaze at the water to turn his attention back to her as he followed close by her side. They walked parallel to the tide, taking their time to enjoy the sand on their feet and the fresh air. They were silent for a few moments, just enjoying the sounds of the outdoors.

                “You know, this kind of reminds me of our first walk at the Hamptons.” Castle said, breaking the silence, but it was okay.

                “Yeah, it does for me too.” Smiled Kate, giving his hand another squeeze out of love. “Remember all those shells we collected?” She asked, glancing at him.

                “Yeah, of course, the ones hanging in our bedroom at home.” He took a look back at her, as they walked along.

                “We can’t forget to collect some here, too.” Beckett suggested, walking with him over to the water’s edge. The coolness of it felt refreshing on their feet. Kate broke their handhold as one of the many shells caught her eye in the sand. She bent down, digging it out of the beach. “Look at this,” She beamed, holding up a shell the size of her fist that was pinkish in color.

                “Wow,” Castle said in surprise. “That’s a pretty good one.” He bent down to try and find a shell of his own. There were plenty there, but one of them really caught his attention. “No way…” His jaw dropped as he uncovered a surprise. “-A full sand dollar.” He held up, proud of himself for finding it unbroken. “I heard mermaids use these to pay for their underwater castles.” He joked. Beckett couldn’t keep the grin off her face, watching him uncover the treasures. She found a few more nice ones for herself, one of them was reddish in color, one of them was cream, and the next was a small, but pure white one. Castle found a few for himself, too, but his favorite remained the sand dollar.

When they felt satisfied with their finds, they joined hands again and continued on their walk, making sure not to drop the shells that they each held in their free hand. The water ran between their toes, and Kate leaned gently against Castle’s arm as they ambled along in the sun. It was bright, but she didn’t mind. It felt nice against her skin, and the light breeze mixed with the mist from the water seemed to make it even better. She sighed in content, and Castle smiled. He was glad that she was enjoying it like he was. They continued walking, but then, Castle suddenly became tense.

“Oh, I totally forgot.” He started, stopping a minute.

“What?” Kate asked, concerned. She straightened herself so she could see his face. Castle acted scared, like he was afraid of something. Kate questioned his look and waited for an answer.

“Are there any sharks in Kauai?” He held back a tiny smile as he squinted out into the water. “I think I saw something…could you hold these a minute?” He handed his shells to Kate as he walked a few feet into the water, observing and trying to get a better look into the distance. Kate watched him from where she was standing on the shore, getting a little curious to what he seemed to see.

“Be careful, Castle.” She added, noticing him getting more than a few yards away from her.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine,” He reassured her. “I’m just looking around… I swear I saw something over here.”

“Well, don’t hurt yourself, okay?” She warned, craning her head to see what he was looking for. He continued to wade through the water that was up to his mid-calf now, and suddenly, a scream pierced the air.

"--- AHH!!” He yelled, jumping backwards and thrashing his feet in the water.

“Castle!” She shouted after him, scared for his safety. She tensed up in worry as Castle was splashing about. When he didn’t stop immediately, she dropped the shells in the sand and ran into the ocean, trying to get to him so she could help him. It was an old habit, and it was her natural instincts as a cop. He continued to make a big splash in the water that was now nearly up to his knees, or seemed like it was.

                  “OW! Ow-ow-ow!” Castle sputtered, trying to get away from whatever he had gotten into.

“Castle!” Beckett yelled above the splashing water, trying to reach him and get him to calm down so she could figure out what was wrong. “Castle- what is it??” She called, making her way closer to him through the water.

-------------------------

*So sorry, I hate leaving you at such a cliffhanger. I barely had time to get this up tonight, so I apologize how it left you! I'll try to get the next chapter up tomorrow night if I can, but I know it will for sure be up by Saturday evening, so keep your eyes open! Thank you for your time in reading this and your patience with my suspenseful endings! Bear with me, haha!*