An Idea

When Beckett finally reached Rick, she placed his hands on his shoulders as he splashed about. “Castle—“ She started, trying her hardest to calm him down so she could find out what was wrong. She thought he might have seen a shark, or fish, or maybe a crab bit his toe, or something, but she looked, and there was nothing around that seemed dangerous. “Castle-“ She pulled him to a stop, looking into his eyes. “What’s wrong?” She confronted. Castle had a look of panic on his face as he forced himself to a stop and looked back into her eyes. There was silence, as Kate waited for an answer. Castle tortured her for a moment more before letting a smirk take over his face. He let out a chuckle, and was suddenly much more relaxed now. Kate was totally lost. “Castle..? Wha-“ She was interrupted by his growing fit of laughter.

                “Wow…” He laughed, “You fell for that!” He grinned, not being able to control his laughter.  Kate stared at him blankly, like she didn’t understand. She thought for a moment, trying to fathom what had happened. Then, it came to her.

                “What..?” She stared. “Castle, Are you trying to tell me that this is…” She squinted. “-A joke?” She questioned tensely. Castle’s smile started falling from his face as he realized that she wasn’t laughing.

                “Well… yeah.“

“Are you serious, Castle?!” She stabbed his shoulder with her finger. She let out a breath, and shook her head at him. “I cannot believe you right now.”

                “Oh, c’mon…” He started. “I was just having fun.” He argued. Beckett kept shaking her head at him, still shocked.

                “By letting me think that you were hurt?” She asked. “What kind of a joke is that?” Castle was taken a little by surprise at her reaction. This wasn’t what he expected.

                “Well, I just-“

                “I just can’t believe you did that to me.” She glared into his eyes for a moment longer, trying not to get too mad, but she was angry at him for making a joke over such a serious situation. She had actually thought that he was hurt, and she dropped everything to try and help him. But it was all a joke. She had to admit to herself, and to him, that she was irritated. But then right in that moment, she thought about where she was. She was taken back to the very beginning, the first time they met at his book signing. She had flashbacks of all the witty jokes he had ever told her, and then how many times they had argued.

She thought about how many times they made up, and how many times they pushed through the rough days. She thought about their first kiss, in the parking lot. She used to tell herself that ‘that kiss’ was only for the undercover job they were working, but she knew in the moment that it was so much more. She thought about their many handholds, and glances they shared between their eyes. She was taken back to all of the moments of their past, suddenly forgetting why she was ever mad at him. She was married to this ridiculous, funny, sometimes-stupid, but loving man who could never stop smiling. And she loved him, too. And soon that’s all she could think about.

                Kate suddenly leaped forward, placing her arms around his neck and kissing him fiercely. He was taken aback by her sudden change in mood, and didn’t know what to do when she first came onto him.  Beckett ran her hands through his thick hair and held the kiss for as long as possible without running out of breath. Castle finally relaxed into her kiss and placed his hands around her back. He wasn’t sure if she was suddenly okay with his joke, but it didn’t really matter. Right then, it was just the two of them, standing in the ocean, and feeling the sun shine upon them.