Waking Up

Beckett awoke in the night, and at first she wasn’t sure where she was. She quickly remembered, though, when she realized she was resting against her husband’s chest. She smiled because it almost seemed like a dream, with the candles around them still glowing bright. She looked up at Rick’s face, which was still sleeping soundly. She stared at him for a moment, so in love that she nearly forgot why she awoke.

She was incredibly thirsty, since she hadn’t drank anything last night besides the small amount of water that she might have swallowed in the shower. She didn’t want to leave Castle’s embrace, but she could feel how dry her mouth was getting. Kate took one last look at him before she tried to get out of bed. She was slow, and careful not to wake him up. She stepped out onto the carpeted floor and made her way to the kitchen, which was cool on her feet. There was just enough light to see, and she started opening cabinets, looking for a cup. She chuckled at the first cabinet, it was full of champagne glasses. She opened the second and third, only to find plates and bowls. She tried the fourth, and finally found a decent, not so fancy cup to use. She filled it with cool water from the sink and took a drink. It tasted great, like she expected. She refilled her cup, and drank that too. Once she had finished, she tiptoed back into the bedroom.

Rick was still sleeping when she returned from the kitchen. Beckett stood in the doorway a moment, just enjoying how beautiful he looked in the candle’s lighting. After being satisfied with what she saw, she made her way back into bed, trying not to disturb her husband. It wasn’t until she moved back onto his chest when he awoke. Beckett watched his face nervously as his eyes fluttered open. The first thing Castle saw was Kate’s face, looking up at him.

“Hey…” He started. “Is everything alright?” He saw she looked a little nervous, so he sat up a little.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine,” She answered. “I just needed a drink. I was hoping I wouldn’t wake you.” She became quieter. “Sorry.” She blushed.

“No, it’s okay.” He reassured her, and placed his hand gently on her back. “I would wake up to you any day.” He smiled, still dazed from waking up so quickly. Kate blushed at his words and settled into his chest again.

“You can fall back asleep, if you want.” She whispered. She was still a bit tired, and figured he was as well.

“I’m sure I will,” He said, rubbing her back. “You can get your rest, too.” He smiled, and stared at her as she fell asleep. She was so peaceful and it comforted him to know that she was settled in again. He closed his eyes, continuing to rub Kate’s back until he fell asleep soundly once again.

***

Kate awoke in the morning to be nearly blinded by the bright sunlight shining into the bedroom from the glass doors. It took her a minute for her eyes to adjust, and when she could see, she looked beside her for Castle, but he wasn’t there. She sat up, looking around the room for him. Maybe he’s in the bathroom? She thought. But the door was wide open, and the light was off. She noticed most of the candles have been blown out, except the ones on their nightstands. “Rick?” She called out into the house. There was a moment of silence before Castle appeared in the doorway to their bedroom.

“Good morning,” He smiled. Noticing her blank stare, he continued, “I woke up about an hour ago, I tried not to wake you.”

“Oh,” She sighed in relief. “I almost thought something happened to you.” She chuckled, looking at him and noticing he had put on a light gray t-shirt.

“With my clever writer’s mind? Never.” He proclaimed with a laugh. “May I treat you to breakfast?” He asked. “I have something special cooking for you on the stove.” He wiggled his eyebrows with a grin.

“Yeah, sure.” She smiled at his cheesy humor. “I’ll be right out.” She answered as he disappeared from the doorway, probably going to tend to the cooking food. She laid there for a moment more, just thinking about how great of a week this was going to be. Beckett then forced herself out of bed, and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and freshen up a bit, before walking into the kitchen. She got excited when she saw what was waiting for her on the table. “Castle, you made pancakes!” She beamed.

“Not just pancakes,” He said, taking the pan off the stove and flipping another one onto her plate. “Your favorite, soft and fluffy pancakes.” He acknowledged, placing the pan to the side of the sink after placing a few hot cakes on a plate for himself.  “And,” He added, “I have fruit and orange juice to go with it.” Castle opened the fridge and pulled out a colorful bowl of assorted fruit, some Hawaiian and some not. He placed it on the table, and then sat down the pitcher of juice before he pulled out a chair for Beckett. She had a smile from ear to ear as she sat down, observing the wonderful food that Castle had served her with.

“You didn’t have to do this, you know.” She looked at him across the table after he had sat down.

“Oh c’mon, it’s our honeymoon.” He pointed out. “You didn’t expect me not to make you breakfast.” He took a bite of his pancakes, and looked up at her.

“Well, this is a little over the top.” She reasoned, still smiling as she took her first bite. “Mmmm,” She moaned. “It’s good.” She tasted the fluffiness of the pancake and took a forkful of fruit, which tasted even better.

“Would you care for some orange juice?” Asked Castle, gesturing to the pitcher.

“I got it,” She replied, pouring a cup for herself, and him. They continued eating, both of them enjoying the morning so far.

“Did you have anything planned for today?” Castle asked curiously as he took a drink of the juice she poured for him.

“Not anything in particular, you?” She questioned, taking another bite of her food.

“Not really, although that pool looked pretty nice.” He implied with a smile as he finished most of his plate.

“Ooh, yeah, that would be fun to try out.” She agreed. They finished up around the same time, and Castle stood to put his plate in the sink for washing later, when they heard a knock at the door. Beckett’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Who is that?” She mouthed to him in a quick panic.

“I don’t know-“ He answered quickly, not sure why someone would be at the door of their resort, since they were miles away from any public places. He shot a look to Beckett. “Should we answer it?” He asked, wanting her opinion since she did well under pressure. They heard the knock again, louder this time.

“Castle, I can’t get it, I’m in my nightgown,” She realized. She stood from her chair and rushed to the bedroom. “You can answer it, I’ll be there in a second!” She called.

Castle walked cautiously to the door, looking out the window to see who was there before opening it. Who he saw surprised him.

---------------------

*I hope this chapter was interesting enough for you, sorry it left you at such a cliffhanger! Chapter 6 should be up tomorrow evening, hopefully.*