The Flight

"C'mon, Beckett!" Castle hollered, breathing heavily. "We can not miss this flight!" He shouted as he ran, tugging his suitcase along the shiny floor of the airport. It was Friday evening, and newly-weds Richard Castle and Kate Beckett were running as fast as they could, trying their hardest not to miss their plane to Kauai that was scheduled for departure in less than ten minutes. It was a cool evening, so he was wearing his black coat and a dark pair of jeans.

        "I'm right behind you, Castle." Beckett answered, gasping for breath. It was hard work running in her jeans like this, especially after a long day at work. Her suitcase clunked along behind her as she tried to keep up with Castle. "I think the gate is just up ahead," she shouted over the commotion of the airport and her loud footsteps. Her brown coat was flying like a cape behind her.

        "I see it," Castle yelled excitedly, "Just a little bit further! We can make it!" He glanced over his shoulder to make sure that Beckett was close behind as they neared the entrance to their plane. Out of breath, he reached the gate, and so did Beckett a few seconds later.

        "That was close," she gasped for air, slowing her pace to a stop beside Castle. She sat up her suitcase and placed her hands on her knees, bending over to rest and to regain her energy as best as she could before getting on the plane.

        "I know." Castle answered, breathing heavily. "Let's hurry up and get our seats, then we can rest all we want." He took a hold of the handle of her suitcase and pulled both his and hers onto the plane, where they took their seats beside eachother after taking care of their luggage. Castle let out a breath of relief as he got comfortable. "Next time, let's not spend so much time on the paperwork." He reffered to earlier in the day when Beckett spent over an hour finishing up the last of a case at the precinct. Beckett glanced out the window, relieved to be boarded safely, and just in time.

        "Castle, you know that was manditory. I can't leave any loose ends." She replied, "It would drive me crazy."

        "I know..." Castle looked to her. "But you have to admit, it was a close call." 

        Beckett turned her head. "You're right, it was close, but we did make it."  She smiled slightly. "Now look," She said quickly, looking to the window again. "We're about to take off." A sudden rush of nervousness overcame her face for a slight second. Castle caught the wave of anxiety in her eyes and reached for her hand that was laying on the arm rest between them. He squeezed it to try to comfort her and release some of her nervous feelings.

        "Don't worry, take-off is the worst part, the rest should be a smooth ride."

        "I know, Castle," She said, giving his hand a squeeze. "I just haven't been on a plane for a long time, thats all." She looked down into her lap, trying to keep herself comfortable and as calm as possible as they lifted off the ground. Castle kept a tight grip on her hand as they ascended higher and higher off the New York land. Before he knew it, they were flying along smoothly. 

        "That wasn't so bad, was it?' He asked.

        "No," She chuckled. "But now we have three hours of flying ahead of us, and I have no idea what to do." She looked at him. "I haven't had this much free time for months." Castle smiled, somewhat surprised as he thought about what she said. Ever since she became a detective, free time to relax was something she had very little of. 

        "Good thing you have me." He said, in a jokingly way. 

        "Yeah, good thing." She laughed at his comment. He always found a way to entertain her, even in the most complicated of times. She found herself starting to draw circles into the palm of his hand with her thumb. Castle smiled in content as he rested back into his seat and made himself comfortable for the long ride.

        "Off to Kauai, we go." He smiled.

        "Off to Kauai." She smiled back. She glanced at relaxed Rick beside her and soon found herself to be more relaxed as well. She closed her eyes and made the best of their ride to their honeymoon destination.

----------

*Thank you for reading chapter one! I will try to keep you updated as often as possible. Stay tuned for chapter two!*