2

~2~

~2~

I didn't get much sleep last night. I just couldn't. For whatever reason, I kept thinking about the guy at the library. The same thoughts going through my mind over and over again. Who was he, why was he there, where was Mr. Barry. The whole thing simply didn't make any sense.

Eventually, morning rolled around and Amos and Mary had returned from their night shift. It was around 7:30 when they got back and almost immediately they fell back asleep.  Right as their heads hit their pillows, my day began. They will be asleep at least until 1, which gave me a good 6 hours to do whatever I want. I got up out of bed and thought out my day as I got ready.

I had to go back to the library, that was obvious. I needed to see if Mr. Barry had come back or if his, quote, nephew was still there. I was hoping he wasn't, because that made everything even more confusing. If he was still there that meant Mr. Barry left under a much different circumstance than just going out. He could have been kidnapped, murdered, forced out of his shop. But then why would someone want the library? It wasn't exactly the town's most valuable treasure. It all didn't make sense, and I'm hoping I am just being paranoid and it's nothing. But then again..

No, I have to stay positive.

Mr. Barry is okay and at the library, reading or typing away on the computer like he always does. He is was too nice of a man to be gone, I wouldn't believe it. Ever since moving to town at the young age of 12, I have always cherished this library. And since I always came here, Mr. Barry was always there to greet me and recommend me books to read. He's what kept me sane during tough times like being adopted. He was like my grandpa if that made sense.

I snuck out of the house through the window so I wouldn't make noise with the floorboards. I couldn't risk being caught. But since It was a two-story house and I was on the second floor, I had to climb down a tree to get down to normal level. Thankfully I have had 5 years of practice and have absolutely nailed climbing trees. Consider it by hidden talent.

I grabbed my bike that leaned against the brick wall of the house and took off down the street. It was a 5-minute drive, but a 10-minute bike ride. I didn't mind though since it was sunny and nice out. If it had been rainy and cold that would be a completely different story.

When arrived at the familiar blue building, I was surprised to see no one there and the sign reading closed. It was only a Tuesday, it shouldn't be closed today. My nerves began to grow as I debated what to do next. I didn't want to leave, I needed to figure out what the hell was going on. So, I snuck towards the back alleyway and went to see if the back door was open. Which, to my surprise, was. My hand turned the handle and when the door opened I stood still for a second; processing what was happening. Was this considered breaking? I don't think so. I technically didn't break anything so I am pretty sure I'm in the clear on this one.

And who knows, I could be saving a life right now.

I entered the dark building and pulled out the flashlight on my phone, flashing it around. There were a lot of things back here, despite it not being a very big room, it was filled to the brim with books and other things. There was a desk with papers stacked on top of it, along with writing utensils and stamps. I couldn't read the papers though since Mr. Barry's handwriting is absolute crap. My eyes travel towards the wall's which had boxes stacked up to the ceiling. It was strange, and usually, I would think they were filled with books but if they were, then why were they stacked in a way that would be close to impossible for an old man to reach let alone unload. It didn't add up.