41

~41~

~41~

"What the hell." A shaky voice let out, capturing me in their arms as the elevator door to the lab swung open. I hugged back, squeezing tightly around Colby's tall figure. The scent of his cologne comforting me.

"Colby." I breathe out of relief, feeling safe in his strong arms. They were protective, holding me like I was going to slip through them.

He pulled away with his right hand still on my arm and lifted his left hand towards my forehead where my cut still bleeds down my cheek. His concerned face mixed with fury looked over to Sam, who stood behind me with the girls. "Why didn't you tell me she got hurt." He spat angrily.

"I didn't tell him." I quickly responded before Sam could, "it doesn't hurt," I assure him. Okay, that was a lie. My adrenaline has gone down, and now that everything around me is calm I can now feel the intense stinging and throbbing coming from my cut. And that plus my headache is making for some killer migraines.

His eyes drew back to me and he shook his head, muttering something under his breath before speaking more clearly, "Not smart.. C'mon, we'll take you four to the infirmary and then-"

"Tara!" A voice called out from a short distance. Coming up to us, Jake stared with such relief in his eyes when he saw Tara standing patiently behind us. Her fearful face fell and with a smile, she was engulfed in a hug. Jake lifted her from her feet and squeezed tightly, even tighter than Colby held me.

This also brought my attention to Sam and Katrina, who were discretely holding hands behind their back. But I could see it through the cracks of their body. I held back a smile.

Then Devyn stood there with her arms crossed, not at all affected by the affection happening around her. She truly didn't care.

"Jake, let's take care of Tara, Devyn, and Kat's Injuries in the small clinic. They only need some bandaids." Sam said, then glanced at Colby and I, "We'll let them discuss what happened,"

Jake nodded, and the 5 of them left quickly through a door. When they were gone, I took notice of what was happening around us. People stared, average people and people who looked to be of wealth. Colby's hand, which was still gently sitting on my arm, must be a strange sight for them to see. Not to mention his tone of worry and urgency when he saw me.

They probably never see this. They're probably so used to his stone-cold looks and glares that ignite fear in them. But for me, it's hard to even remember what that felt like.

"You're shaking." Colby uttered, rubbing his hand up and down my arm, "Come on, we need to sterilize and stitch your cut. While I do that, you need to explain in as much detail as possible what happened, is that okay?"

I don't respond, I just look down at my hands to see they were indeed shaking. I didn't even realize.

Colby took his hand in mine, making me look up to meet his worry full eyes.