54

~54~Colby

~54~
Colby

Livia had fallen asleep a while ago, maybe two hours. I chose to stay awake, make sure she was always comfortable laying on me, and keep track of the journey since I've never felt comfortable flying at night. It was such a weird thing, having a girl sleep on you. So helpless, so vulnerable. It felt like I was holding the world on my shoulders every time her chest rose as she breathed slowly. Seeing how peaceful she was, how safe she looked, it made me flutter with joy as well as shutter with fear. Because I know that with good there is bad, and I've never been good at handling the bad. Not when it comes to her.

There have been instances where she is in trouble or hurt in any way and though I try to be calm around her, inside, I'm fuming with rage. When she ran away during the first few weeks of being here, panic set into me like nothing else before. Knowing she was out there, alone, with people after her terrified me to the core. I luckily got there in time and nothing gad happened, well, unless you count me being stabbed, and we got past that.

But now with Mrs. Miller after her, I feel like I'm waiting for disaster. Even in a moment like this where all is good, everyone is happy, everyone is safe, I know that in our world safe doesn't last. Whether it be me, or Livia, or any of the guys or girls, we're all at risk. Every day I feel the guilt of putting them all into this, into my own doings. First by getting Sam to help me, then Jake and Corey, then they met the girls and got them involved even if they don't partake in dirty work, and then finally Livia. When I took her from Indiana and brought her here for no real good reason.

I think I knew I would have had to kill her, if we didn't take her. With anyone else, I would have shot them without hesitation. But Livia proved useful on that job and she reminded me of Ana so much in that sense. The way she kept a brave face, spoke to me as if I didn't have authority over her, even how she followed us without any of us knowing. I knew that I wouldn't have been able to kill her, ever. Not even with the risk of being arrested.

So I took her and brought her into this fucked up world that is my life. There's always been this feeling in my gut that something was going to happen, that this wouldn't last, and recently is been worse.

It's been weeks since Mrs. Miller's last attack, and with her house burning down only last night I knew that was her reminder to us that she was still there. Still lurking. The way my heart dropped I heard what had happened. It was a message to me and only me.

That house used to hold something so beautiful, but with it gone it burning. She was telling me that Livia and I would burn. Something will happen that will cause us to break apart. One way or another.

I feared death, Livia's death. If there's one thing I remember from that night I went to turn myself into Mrs. Miller, it's what she had told me before she knocked me out.