10

~10~

~10~

           Friends have never been on my agenda. Even from a young age, I wasn't a social butterfly and avoided making deep and meaningful connections with people my age. At the orphanage, most of the kids weren't my age. Which is probably the reasoning behind that. I don't know, I just never saw the point of it. And don't get me wrong, as I've mentioned, I took care of the younger kiddos since I was one of the older girls. I made sure the toddlers got along, and the barely 1 and 2-year-olds ate enough food, and even the pre-teens got their homework done for school. I was basically a mom.

But, I never connected with them. Besides my motherly nature, they had no idea what any of my interests were and I never let them see me cry. Which, sadly, I did a lot of.

At school, I was the definition of the kid who people would refer to as invisible. I kept to myself, not talking to anyone (not even the teachers). I sat with no one at lunch; usually walking through the halls while I ate my small portion of lunch. Berries and crackers were a proper meal for me, and quite frankly as much as the orphanage could afford.

During class, I kept my eyes on the papers or books in front of me, avoiding eye contact with anyone other than the Times New Roman font sitting on the pages on my desk. Writing and text were just so much easier to understand than people.

And Colby has only proved that point even more.

I mean, If everyone had a description of what they were feeling or thinking, everything would be so much easier in my life. I would be able to read Colby's blank face whenever a conflict came up, or when he upsets me. I could see when he felt bad so I felt better about what had happened, and maybe wouldn't have gone off on him as I had. But he's a robot. Like a book with no cover and a thick lock, conflicting me from opening its pages.

It was impossible.

And I didn't have the key.

So I was left with the blank cover and that was it.

It frustrated me deeply. I don't think I've ever been more foiled in my life. I'm a master at figuring people out. But for this guy? That was close to impossible.

After leaving the Lab, (which I still don't know why it's called that) we were heading to the house. Wherever the hell that was. It wasn't that far actually, only a few minutes away. It was in a nice rich neighborhood, very different than the abandoned train station we were previously at. Each house is at least two stories or more (Usually 3). The gated properties seemed to get bigger and bigger as we drove, and the further we drove the further apart the houses, no, mansions got from each other. It was strange and foreign to me, but cool to look at.

It was both a terrifying and amazingly cool difference from what I was used to.

As in.. I hated it and I didn't.