Chapter 18

Mina looks at the clear skies in the distance, worrying a lip between her teeth.

"What are you thinking about?" Jihyo puts an arm on her shoulder, her voice laced with concern because she looks troubled.

"Something is wrong." Mina shakes her head and points to her chest. "I feel it in here."

"The girls are going to be ok." Jihyo reassures her but the clear skies unsettles her a bit.

Mina nods her head but the uneasy feeling in her chest grows with every passing second.

Nayeon's heart pounds fast as the hungry, bestial moans and the unwavering footfalls of the undead sounds nearer and nearer.

There's no point hiding now. She's already drawn their attention. She gets up on her feet and smashes the window of the van with her baseball bat.

She puts a hand inside and reaches for the item, her breathing ragged not because of the physical exertion but because of the fear.

A lurker yanks her hand and his teeth shining with blood is about to sink into her arm but Nayeon kicks him in the shin just in time and he stumbles to the ground.

She retrieves the object, stuffing it under her shirt at the back and yells in pain when the zombie grabs her, toppling her to the ground, a shred of glass on it slicing through her arm.

She swiftly rolls over, and grabs the piece of glass stabbing him between the eye.

Another lurker strangles her neck from behind but Nayeon smashes the baseball bat into his eyes before he can bite into her flesh.

The blood from her arm flows steadily. She feels dizzy and tired but she knows she has to get out of here.

She draws every ounce of energy she has left and stands on her feet.

Chaeyoung watches with bated breath as Nayeon swings her baseball bat and smashes the skull of a lurker while kicking another one whose body gets thrown against a car.

The distance between their car and Nayeon seems to grow with every second. There are about fifteen lurkers around her, and she seems unsteady on her feet, a large red spot clearly visible on her white shirt.

"We should help her." Dahyun tells and climbs out the car, Chaeyoung joining her side.

Aera sits inside, choosing to be in the safety of the car.

Nayeon punches a lurker in his face and shakes her head because her eyes are glazing over and the world seems to spin around her.

Through the blurred vision she sees Dahyun and Chaeyoung walking towards where she is. "Don't come here. I swear to god." She yells and sinks her elbow into another undead cracking his neck.

"No." Dahyun mutters under her breath as she shoots a zombie who's about to sink his teeth into Nayeon's neck. "We're in this together."

Chaeyoung rotates on her heels, holding a chainsaw in her hand and slicing the lurkers as they surround her.

Nayeon feels the blood draining from her body hard and fast. She knows she's slowly becoming unconscious.

She wants to get the girls to safety before she falls into a void of darkness.

When a zombie grabs Chaeyoung and smashes her against a vehicle, she stumbles on her feet, picks up the chainsaw the younger girl has dropped and runs it through his neck.

Chaeyoung gasps for breath knowing she narrowly missed death. The parking lot is quiet because they've managed to kill all the undead.

"Thank you Nayeonnie." Chaeyoung mutters and throws his limp body away from her, only to see the older girl lying unconsciously on the floor.

"We need to get her home and get the wound stitched." Dahyun takes off her sweater and ties it around Nayeon's arms. "She can't lose anymore blood."

They carry the unconscious girl to the car and drive to the safe house in absolute silence.

When they reach the house, Jeongyeon who's waiting for them in the basement throws Nayeon over her shoulders and jogs up the stairs to find the first aid box.

Mina drops to her knees and sobs helplessly.

Momo hugs her whispering words of comfort in her ears.

When Nayeon wakes up six hours later, dazed and confused, Mina gives her an angry glance that's so fierce and intense, that Nayeon feels terrified to follow her into the bedroom.

"Guess you're sleeping on the couch today my friend." Jeongyeon pats her shoulders sympathetically.