Chapter 28

Nayeon immediately rushes to the balcony. Her breath catches in her chest as she takes in the scene before her.

Mina is in the corridor of the second floor all alone, her hands pushing on the buttons on the lift incessantly which doesn't seem to work.

Around twenty zombies are behind a barricade which is about to give in under their force. One zombie which has managed to jump over the barricade is running towards Mina.

Tzuyu and Jeongyeon are standing in the small space between the two buildings looking up at Mina with round, wide eyes.

Nayeon leans down and shouts at Aera, "Shoot!! Now!"

Aera shrugs offhandedly as she grips the shotgun tighter between her hands, "I only have two bullets left. I'll need it for myself and the rest of us."

Mina's eyes meet Nayeon's across the spaces. She smiles sadly at the older girl as if she's giving up. The zombie is only a couple of feet away from Mina.

"Nayeon-chan, I-" She sobs.

"Don't. Don't finish it!" Nayeon says with steely determination, "You're not dying. Not when I'm alive!"

She grabs the axe from Jihyo's hand and takes a deep breath.

All her attention gathers to one single focal point as she trains her eyes on the zombie which is ready to pounce on Mina.

She swings the axe just before he could sink his teeth in. Everyone watches with bated breath as the axe travels the twenty foot in air to lodge right at the lurker's neck, splashing his blood all across the wall.

Jeongyeon and Tzuyu are about to release a sigh of relief but stop when they see the barricade is being pushed even more vigorously by the undead now.

"Minayah! Hang in there! I'm coming to get you!" Nayeon turns to Kyong and inquires, "Do you have a rope?"

"Do you have a death wish?" Mina hisses from across the building, "Take the girls and get out of here!"

Mina watches in absolute horror as Nayeon takes the rope from some kid and slides a metallic hook around the end of the rope and throws it to her building.

The hook catches on one of the railings before her and Nayeon tugs on it to see if it's sturdy enough for two people to make their way back to their side of the building.

The hook is strong but the plastic rope doesn't look like it could hold two people. Nayeon only hopes it doesn't break until they get back.

"Nayeon-chan," Mina sobs openly, "This is madness. You don't know if this rope can bear both our weight."

Nayeon gives her a soft glance, "Only one way to find out."

She attaches another hook to the rope around her waist and steps over the railing of the balcony.

The barricade is about to give in any minute now. She hears the growls of the undead getting louder and angrier.

She takes a deep breath and grabs the rope.

The skin on her palm tears and bleeds as she slides, the splinters of plastic pricking into her soft flesh. She ignores the shooting pain and slides down the remaining area quickly with only one aim in her mind.

Mina gasps when the rope snaps just before Nayeon reaches her side of the building.

Nayeon manages to hang on to one of the railings. Her legs dangles loosely in air, and the zombies on the floor below try to reach for her.

"Hold my hand," Mina crouches on the floor and pulls her up with every bit of strength she has.

When Nayeon finally manages to pull herself up on the ledge and jumps over the railing, Mina punches her chest repeatedly with both hands.

"Ouch!" Nayeon yelps as she continues to hit her. "Minayah! Stop!"

"The rope cut off. The lift doesn't work and we're both going to die!" Mina yells, wiping at her tears and jabs another angry finger to her chest, "I told you not to come here. You're so stupid and infuriating and idiotic and I hate you so much right no-"

Nayeon shuts her up with a kiss.

"Is she serious?" Aera rolls her eyes, "The barricade just broke."

Mina tugs Nayeon closer by the collar of her shirt and let her tears mix in with the kiss.

The zombies growl and make their way hungrily towards them.

Nayeon and Mina don't stop kissing. It's slow and passionate, and full of love and heartbreak and fades everything around them to the background.

The girls begin to cry and cover their faces in their hands unable to watch the scene before them. The zombies would be ripping into Nayeon and Mina's flesh any moment now.

Nayeon removes one of her arms from around Mina's waist, and shoves it into her pocket.

The smell of the rotten flesh is stronger now and Nayeon knows it's time.