Chapter 38

The helicopter lifts higher slowly.

The sky opens up at the exact moment as if it's mourning for Nayeon.

Mina loves the rain but not today, because if it had come an hour earlier Nayeon would be still alive.

Fresh set of tears run down her cheeks as the zombies run for cover and Nayeon's body which is covered in blood comes into view.

"Wait!" She yells when something strikes her, "Stop the helicopter!"

"Why?" The man next to her asks.

"She's moving." She points out.

He sighs, "She turned. All the undead move."

Momo cuts in before Mina replies, "Are you dumb? The undead don't move about in the rain!"

This gets everyone's attention. The man who seems like the one in command orders the pilot to land the helicopter again.

He uses a binocular and focuses on the young girl limping in the lobby. She's dizzy, her gait is unsteady, but it's not that of a lurker in hunger, it's that of a human in pain.

"Bring her up." He shouts out the command to his soldiers, "She's too weak to come up by the rope. One of us have to go down and hook ourselves to her."

A hefty looking man slides down the dome and approaches Nayeon cautiously.

"Why am I not a zombie yet?" She asks when he drops to the floor, and scratches her neck in confusion. It's a little adorable even to his cold hearted persona. "We don't know yet. We're going to get you checked out at the lab."

Nayeon is unconscious when she's finally pulled up. The chief commander feels for her pulse, "It's there but it's low. We need to hurry up."

The girls and the other survivors are kept in a guarded room. They're provided food and water but Mina refuses to touch it until she knows what happened to Nayeon.

Twelve hours later, a man in a doctor's coat walks into the room. His stoic face gives away nothing.

"How's she?" Mina inquires, almost afraid of his response.

"She's stable now." He says earning a collective sigh of relief. "A lot of blood loss," He continues, "Which is kind of expected given how deep the bite wounds were, but what was unexpected was her blood analysis."

"What about it?" Jihyo prods.

The man adjusts his glasses back on his nose and clears his throat, "Well you see we've been trying to develop antibody to the virus unsuccessfully. But her body is naturally rejecting the virus for some reason."

"Are you saying?" Jeongyeon's eyes widen.

"That's she's the antibody?" The doctor asks, "Yes."

"That's not true!!" Momo cuts in haughtily, "She's not antibody."

"Momo." Tzuyu says.

"She loves bodies, especially Mina's body." Momo finishes proudly, "I even have proof in my zombie vlog."

The man looks baffled.

The silence stretches uncomfortably for a while.

"When can we see her?" Sana cuts through the awkwardness.

"Now, if you want!" He then stops and searches through the crowd like he just remembered something, "Who's Mina? She's been saying this name during the surgery, after the surgery, with anesthesia, without anesthesia and honestly we're getting a little sick of it!"

Mina lifts her hands up with a shy smile on her face.

"Would you like to see her first?" He inquires.

Mina nods her head.

"That won't be possible doctor!" A woman announces from behind them, "The patient wouldn't stay still in one spot. She announced she was perfectly fine and before we could stop her she wandered off to find her band-"

"Minayah!" Nayeon's happy voice sounds from behind the nurse. "Missed me?"

Seeing she's safe the doctor and nurse take their leave.

Mina blinks back the tears that wells in her eyes at the sight of Nayeon. "Nayeon-chan!" She smiles, wiping away the tears.

Nayeon looks perfectly fine save for the stitches and bandages covering her neck and arms.

"Minayah!" Nayeon steps closer, her smile growing wide.

"Nayeon!" Mina's smile turns a little too sweet. Kind of maniacal even.

"Minayah?" Nayeon stops, a little afraid.

"Im Nayeon!" Mina grits out, the smile completely gone from her face.

Nayeon gulps a little. "Oww." She lets out, when a soft fist connects with her chest. "Oww Minayah, stop!"

"You idiot!" Mina shoves her again. "I'm going to kill you."

"Ouch!" Nayeon catches her wrist when she shoves her again and tries to shield her chest from further punches. "That hurts!"

"I want it to hurt." Mina jabs her shoulders with a sharp finger, "You imbecile pigheaded stubborn-"

"I love you."

Mina stops.

Nayeon takes her hand, her dark eyes gazing nervously into Mina's brown eyes that could swallow galaxies, "I have felt this way for a long time. And I know you don't feel that way about me but I just want you to know thi-"

"I love you too." Mina whispers, as she snakes her hands up to stroke the older girl's cheeks.

"You do?" Nayeon gasps.

"Although I don't know why!" Jeongyeon snorts.

"Do you think I'd have agreed to have sex with just anyone?" Mina laughs with a shake of her head, "I'm in love with you Nayeon-chan! Be my girlfriend, partner, whatever, just be mine!"

"Cool!" Nayeon grins.

"Cool? What does Mina see in a four year old?" Sana genuinely wonders.

"Does this mean I can like kiss you anytime I want?" Nayeon's eyes grow wide at the prospect.

"Like she doesn't do that already!" Jihyo snorts.

"Yes." Mina chuckles softly as she rests their forehead together.

"And have sex all the time?" Nayeon asks astonished.

"Not within hundred miles of me." Chaeyoung replies.

Mina blushes, and nuzzles their cheeks. "Yeah."

"And go to sleep and wake up together?" Nayeon continues.

"I'd love nothing more Nayeon-chan." Mina's words comes out in a explosion of breath.

"Have dinners together, make kimchi fried rice, rice cakes, black bean noodles, dumplings..." Nayeon taps a finger to her chin.

"Oh my god can someone shut her up?" Tzuyu whines.

"Gladly." Mina replies and crushes her lips against Nayeon's, looping her arms around the taller girl's neck and pulling her down deeper into the kiss as the rest of the world fades away.

"No, not really. We are still here." Momo says.

"I think it's time to fade away." Dahyun informs when Nayeon slips a tongue into Mina's mouth and Mina lets out a small whimper.

"Fade away with me?" Sana asks her.

Dahyun blushes a little.

Chaeyoung closes her ears and begs dramatically, "Someone put me back in the apocalypse please."