Chapter 37

Nayeon tries to smile through her pain so that the younger girl  would stop crying. The physical pain she can bear, but the sight of Mina crying? Not so much! "You should go!" She tells Mina who's still attempting to come closer to her.

Mina shakes her head, "I'm not leaving you here."

"Go Minayah!" Nayeon stumbles back another couple of steps and comes to rests with her hands on her knees, taking short ragged breaths.

"No!!" Mina pulls the older girl up to her level. When she tries to push her away, she moulds their body together into a crushing hug. "Why did you do all this? Nobody, not even my parents I think would jump into a cruel death like this for me. So why did you??" She wails, tightening her arms around the older girl.

Nayeon doesn't say anything. She pulls apart slightly and smiles a little. She takes a long minute to look at Mina as if memorizing her face one last time. "You should go." She repeats.

Mina shakes her head, trying to pull Nayeon closer again. "I'm not going." She looks to the side when she hears the shutter breaking.

In a few moments, Nayeon would either die or become one of them. No matter what happens, Mina is sure of one thing, whatever fate is written for Nayeon she wants it for herself too.

Nayeon closes her eyes, when she opens them again they're red and dazed. "Go." She grunts at Mina, a little animalistic.

"Before we die, tell me why. Please." Mina wipes the tears off her cheeks and cups the older girl's face in her hands.

Glistening brown eyes meet dazed dark ones. Nayeon smiles sadly, "I'm sorry."

Mina doesn't understand what she's sorry for.

Nayeon sees the confusion etched on her face but doesn't explain. She pulls the younger girl into a hug and holds her for a moment.

"I hope someday you'll forgive me for this." She says when she lets go and before Mina realizes what's happening she manages to fasten the hook to the loop. "Pull her up!! Now!!" She yells at the men on the rooftop.

"Nooooo!!" Mina cries, kicking her legs in the air trying to reach Nayeon. But Nayeon is looking at her through her bloodshot eyes, with a small smile stained on her lips. "Put me back down." Mina pleads.

The shutter lands on the cemented floor with a heavy thud.

"You'll be safe now." Nayeon whispers to herself and sits on the chair, her vision blurring with each passing second.

The zombies growl as they finally walk over the shutter and run towards Nayeon.

Mina is pulled onto the ledge. She keeps trying to jump back in but the men hold her back. "Let me go!" Mina cries and punches an officer's chest but he holds on tight.

Nayeon slides the leather jacket up on her shoulder and stands on her feet.

"Game time fuckers!" She announces as she picks up her baseball bat.

Jihyo's eyes water at the sight of Nayeon surrounded by over hundred undead. Her white shirt underneath the leather jacket is completely drenched in her blood. She's standing unsteadily on her feet.

"You shouldn't see this. It's going to be horrible." One of the officers tell her in a compassionate tone, "Come on, get on the helicopter."

Sana wipes at her tears as Mina is forced into the helicopter. "Nayeon-chan." She whimpers, wails and Sana's heart breaks over and over again.

The helicopter hovers over the dome.

Jeongyeon sees Nayeon twirling her bat one last time before three lurkers catch her arm and sink their teeth into it.

Jeongyeon hears her scream of pain despite the loud noise of the helicopter pads.

Nayeon drops her bat but moves herself and the lurkers attached to her arm to a corner and smashes the three Zombies' head against the wall.

Not even seconds later, she's pushed to the ground by over twenty undead around her.

Jeongyeon doesn't want to look anymore. She looks away.

Nayeon lays on the floor and she's in so much pain, but despite all that she smiles when she sees the helicopter taking off.

She closes her eyes in peace.

"No!" Mina tries to jump off the helicopter again but is restrained by the men in uniform. "Nayeon-chan! Nayeon-chan! No no no!" She sobs, in hysterics.

The last thing she sees is the hundreds of zombies covering Nayeon's limp, lifeless body.