𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟵

"Hear me out-" Ruth tried to stop the blonde gun for hire pacing up and down in front of her, a scornful expression laid on his face like a rough burden. Just like the burden she had put on his shoulders now. 

"There's nothing that you can say that will fix this shit!" Danny shouted at her. His voice echoed in the empty Parlour House. They were both seated at a table, except for Danny of course. He paused, pointing at himself. "I had to find out in the damn paper that you made this decision without even bringing it to me! Do you not understand how dangerous both Dutch and that oilman are?" Danny frowned at her, his top lip snarled up. Ruth felt anger pulsing through her. "You just laid in bed with the damn devil himself!"

"Goddamn it!" Ruth yelled at him, jumping up from her seat. Danny looked at her in shock as she pushed him hard. He stumbled, his eyes staying set on her. She watched as his scornful expression stayed. "Let me speak!" She huffed. Danny stared at her for a moment before shaking his head slightly and squeezing his lips together in bitterness. 

"Alright, the floor is yours princess," he muttered in annoyance before pulling a chair out for himself and plunking down. Ruth felt hurt to see her friend so angered at her but she knew he couldn't stay mad at her forever. They were all they had. Ruth stayed where she stood, staring at Danny trying her best to hide her hurt. 

"He's blackmailing me," Ruth announced. Danny's face dropped instantly, shock replaced his anger. "He's blackmailing me, Danny. I didn't want to do it but if I don't... he knows what I do Danny," Ruth lowered her voice, even though they were alone despite the corpses that hadn't been cleaned up. 

"He thinks he knows," Danny attempted to correct her but Ruth shook her head at her friend. 

"He knows. He knows about the assassin side of my job, Danny," Ruth muttered. "When he brought it up I thought of you. If he finds out it was me who killed that man in Saint Denis for the Mayor it won't be long before they figure out you did the distraction. Everyone knows we work together occasionally," she paused as she looked at Danny before pushing a smile. "I'm doing this for us." Danny was quiet for a long time, staring at his hand that tapped the table as he thought. Ruth watched in anticipation, waiting for him to say something. He had to. "The pay'll be good."

"No money is good money if you're dead," Danny whispered. Ruth pressed her lips together before moving back to her seat, sighing as she sat down. "It's not going to end with Dutch, you know? Cornwall will keep blackmailing you to get rid of his competition. He'll kill you, not with his own hand but," Danny stopped, shaking his head with discomfort at the thought of loosing his friend. Ruth looked over to him, she could see he was trying to come to terms with it but he couldn't.