#22 Nothing Lasts Forever

Comenzar desde el principio

   "Where's my water?" Thomas asks as soon as his twin sister faces him.

   Emily furrows her eyebrows, situates her hands against her hips and tilts her head. "I beg your pardon. I'm not your assistant."

   "Who said that you are my assistant? You need to get me a bottle of water because that's what little sister is for," Thomas emphasises the words 'little sister' whilst prodding Emily's shoulder.

   "Don't call me 'little sister' when you're just a few minutes older than me," Emily snarls and smacks Thomas' hand off her shoulder.

   "Yeah, but still little..." Thomas pats Emily's head which is on the same height as his shoulders, just to annoy and provoke her more.

   They both already knew that Thomas is the older twin because their father, Andrew told them several days ago. He told them that Emily was born two minutes after Thomas as she was smaller, compared to her twin brother, who was larger and heavier. Meaning, Emily is two minutes younger than Thomas.

   Anyway, Emily purses her lips and clenches her fists as she waits for the right time to snap at Thomas. Nevertheless, there is another female voice interrupting her action.

   "Thomas....., right?" a girl asks and taps Thomas' back.

   "Yeah," Thomas turns around and nods his head.

   "You must be thirsty. Here's your water," the girl gives Thomas a bottled water and smiles sweetly.

   "Thanks," Thomas smiles back.

   The girl seems speechlessly awestruck and keeps staring at Thomas before Emily intrudes her daydream by clearing her throat and saying:

   "Do you have anything else to say? If the answer is no, then you can leave."

   Emily realises she sounds rude, impertinent and disrespectful. Despite that, she personally does not like it when a girl tries to flirt with Thomas and wants to impress him. She bets Thomas will also feel that way if boys want to flirt with her.

   The girl looks embarrassed as she snaps out of her trance. "Sorry. Bye," her face obviously turns red and she quickly turns away.

   "Bye!" Thomas exclaims, causing the girl to look back at him and smile shyly.
He turns around to face Emily who is gazing at him with an unreadable expression.

   "What?"

   "Do you know her?" Emily folds her arms.

   "I saw her somewhere, but I don't really know her. I was just being nice to her as you made her embarrassed and uncomfortable," Thomas shrugs and then seemingly scolds Emily at the end.

   Meanwhile, Emily stares up at her twin brother indignantly whilst thinking of the best words to say, but to no avail. She just sighs and rolls her eyes instead.

   "What's wrong with Anthony?" Thomas gestures with his head at Anthony who is now has a bandage wrapped around his shin and talking with his other friends.

   "I think he injured his leg," Emily replies and follows Thomas heading towards his skipper. When she realises that she might be surrounded with boys if she goes further, she intuitively stops a few feet from them, casually watching Thomas, Anthony and their friends chatting, bickering and discussing the new strategy they want to use for this match. Oh! Their coach is there too.

   "Danial, you're the captain," says Anthony whilst tossing a 'captain' band strap at a boy who easily catches it with one hand.

   Then, their coach gives one last speech before telling them to go out to the field and play their hearts out.