#17 Naïve

There are a lot of interesting books in the library, so Emily does not know which one she wants to read first. Hmm.... This one or that one?

   She closes her eyes and picks the first book she touches. Okay.. What kind of book is this? She turns it over and reads the title.

   Amnesia... Wow ~ What a coincidence.

   She contemplates putting back the book on the shelf, but then she flips through the pages of the book and reads something about retrograde amnesia. She is very riveted by the usage of the words which are so sage and full of wisdom that she does not even realise that there is a girl standing in front of her.

   "Emily?" the girl pokes Emily's shoulder after calling her thrice and unsuccessfully getting her attention. She is so engrossed with that thick book ..

   "Ah!" Emily squeaks and accidentally drops the enormous book on the carpeted floor, creating quite a loud thud. A few people by the bookshelves shush her. She smiles guiltily whilst biting her lip at them and picks up the book.

   "Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you."

   Emily looks up to find the girl sticking her hands together as a gesture of apology. She stands straight, puts the book on its shelf and faces the girl.

   "That's okay, Pauline," she smiles reassuringly at her. She knows her. Pauline is her classmate who often helps her in Mathematics. She has black lustrous hair and a beautiful, angelic smile.

   "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to go home?" asks Pauline whilst glancing at her wristwatch.

   "I'm waiting for Thomas. He's having a meeting with his football team. In the meantime, I feel like I want to read some books, so here I am," Emily smiles at Pauline as the latter listens to her explanation intently. "What about you? What are you doing here?"

   "Well, I'm having a study group with my other friends over there," Pauline points to a round table which is occupied by two girls and two boys.

   Emily turns her head at the table which is also full of books and stationery. Pauline is one of the smartest girls at school and Emily is pretty competitive, so she always competes with her for any subject and strives for the best and to be the most successful student.

   "Oh, okay. Enjoy studying with your friends!" she winks at Pauline, wanting to end the conversation. Honestly, she wants to spend some time alone in the library. Just her and the books. Before Thomas comes here after his meeting, she wants to cherish this rare moment, even though she has a spacious library at home. But hey, school library and home library are different!

   "And enjoy reading some books!" Pauline waves her hand at Emily and walks away to go to her friends.

   "Whew!" Emily wipes her forehead and moves along searching for another book to read. Unconsciously, she looks back on the things she had done in this library, such as helping the teacher or the librarian arranging books on the shelves, studying with her friends and much more.

   She shakes her head and focus on the books. Lately, she always reflects on her past. She often does it unawares and it is probably good. On her latest medical check-up, the doctors said that she is starting to recuperate from amnesia, though they did not say much because they did not want to promise anything. It all depends on her. And she thinks that maybe when one of Freddy's men hit her on the head, her past memories started to come back. Moreover, she assumes that her encounter with Freddy might precipitate her into retrieval of her recollection. So, perhaps that incident has its pros and cons.