#29 Dance With Me

At school, there is a farewell party for Mr. Wright, who has gotten a promotion and will change school. Before this, he was the head of discipline and very strict. A lot of students feared him and sometimes respected him. Even Nicholas Blondeau and his gang were afraid of him - that's why they have their own secret place for hangout.

   Anyway, they are having a big feast at the school canteen. Mr. Wright is the sponsor of the food as a thankful gift. All of the students, teachers and staff are very grateful for the mouth-watering foods and drinks that they immediately grab them and start to fill their grumbling stomachs.

   ...including Emily and her friends, who are sitting at their table.

   "Eat your veggies, Anthony Henderson! Or I will tell your mum that you didn't eat them," Katherine scolds Anthony, who scowls at her.

   "Haha.. I'm not a kid, Katherine Murray," Anthony says back as he puts the vegetables on his plate aside.

   "You are to me, Antonio," Katherine mutters, emphasising the last word.

   "Shut up, Katerina," Anthony grunts.

   "Ignore them," Felicia whispers to Emily and Harry, who snigger at their friends' childishness.

   Emily feels pleasantly serene today. There are her friends who are with her and she can see Thomas at a table a few metres across from her, who laughs as his friend throws a napkin at him and misses it. But then, his friend throws a plastic spoon, which hits James' head and falls on his food. James glares at him and throws back the spoon.

   That scenario makes Emily laugh by herself and shake her head.

   "Why are you laughing?" Katherine, who sits beside Emily, suddenly asks.

   "Huh? Nothing.." Emily composes herself and turns her attention to her food.

   Katherine smirks at her friend naughtily. "I know who you're looking at."

   "Yeah?"

   "The person whose name starts with 'J'," Katherine's smirk turns to a wide grin.

   Emily glowers at Katherine and ignores her wiggling eyebrows.

   "Why don't you call him over?"

   "Why do I need to do that?"

   "Come on.. This is your chance!"

   "I don't want to bother him. Let him have some quality time with his friends," Emily waves the topic aside and continues finishing her food.

   "I'll do it if you don't want to."

   "There's no need --"

   "Hey, James!" Katherine whispers a bit louder, just to annoy Emily.

   "Kate.." Emily grits her teeth.

   "James Smith ~"

   Emily ignores her crazy friend and focuses on her food.

   "Oh, God! He's looking over here!"

   "Hmm..."

   "Lift up your head, Emily!" Katherine pats Emily's shoulder vigorously.

   Without thinking, Emily raises her head while moving a forkful of salad into her open mouth. She stops abruptly when she meets James' eyes from across the room.

   James smiles and waves his hand, making Emily lose focus on what she is currently doing.

   She misses her salad and the fork hits her cheek instead. The cherry tomato falls and rolls on the plate. She blinks her eyes and realises that James tries hard to conceal his laughter. Meanwhile, Thomas, who is sitting beside him and has already seen what was happening, shakes his head and smirks.