#22 Nothing Lasts Forever

There is a friendly football match between Emily's school and another school from the north, which also happens to be Harry's former school before he moved here. The game started seventeen minutes ago and it is still goalless.

   Anyway, Emily stands on the sidelines of the pitch, watching the boys chasing a ball. Meanwhile, Katherine and Laura are sitting on a bench behind her, talking and occasionally laughing when Anthony missed the ball at his foot and accidentally passed it to the one of the opponents. Emily just smiles at that.

   Three minutes later, the referee blows the whistle after two people collided at the middle of the field. The players start surrounding them and the incident when Thomas injured his ankle springs into Emily's mind. She admits she is worried that her twin brother might be the one who is sitting on the ground. Thus, she cranes her neck to see better and silently prays that her assumption is wrong.

   Emily sighs in relief after noticing that Thomas is standing with his teammates whilst talking to Anthony who is actually the one sitting on the ground glumly.

   Wait.... Anthony?!

   "Is that Tony?" Katherine, who suddenly appears beside Emily, asks.

   "Yeah."

   "Is he okay?" Katherine asks again.

   "I don't know. Maybe he just tripped and sprained his ankle? I'm not sure..." Emily rubs her chin, thinking that playing football has its pros and cons.

   "I hope he's all right," Katherine states, making Emily nod in agreement. She then sits on the bench with her and Laura after the referee has decided to continue the match.

   While Emily sits comfortably on the bench, she starts to feel sleepy as she puts her head on her hands. She admits that she is not a fan of football and not interested in watching it.

   "Is he okay?" Laura exclaims all of a sudden.

   "Who?" asks Katherine.

   "Anthony," Laura answers shortly and points at Anthony who stops running momentarily and puts his hands on his knees before continuing to stride.

   "I think he's got a problem with his leg. Do you see he's limping?" Emily joins the girls' conversation.

   Katherine looks at her watch. "It's only five minutes before half-time. Do you think he can hold it for a little longer?"

   The girls shrug, not knowing what to say or predict. They just wait until the referee blows the whistle, which happens exactly five minutes later.

   The players from both teams begin to gather in their respective spots and when Emily's eyes have found Anthony, she immediately gazes at his leg which has a big, red stain on one of his socks.

   "Hey," Anthony waves his hand at the girls who are staring at him with their eyes gleam with concern and confusion.

   "Anthony... Your leg... It's bleeding!" Katherine points to Anthony's leg.

   "Yeah, I know," Anthony sighs, sits on a bench and removes his shoes and socks. Emily widens her eyes at the sight of the hideous wound and blood on his shin and instinctively backs away.

   "Come on, Em. Don't you want to help?" Laura says teasingly after noticing Emily's reaction and nudges her.

   "I'm sorry. I can't......" Emily steps backwards whilst watching the paramedical team tend to Anthony's injury. She keeps on walking until she feels her back bump into someone's chest, causing her to turn around.