nine

JIMIN

I hear a crunch and I shriek in pain as our bags land on top of Jungkook who is very much splayed all over me. My cheek grazes against the rough floor. I can't tell if it's me yelling in pain or Jungkook or the passengers who are gaping in shock.

"Go, go, go!" I scream, praying whoever's running this damn thing can hear me and hurries up. It's almost magic how the doors close and we are off.

It's a few disorienting moments as the train moves along.

I cry out as Jungkook gets off me, clutching his head which knocked onto mine. The rough surface of the train scratches against my arm and I'm sticky all over - it's so irritating, I want to rip my skin off. A lady (who I assume works here because of her uniform) turns pale at the sight of us and instantly calls her colleague over.

They tower above us and just stare.

"Do you have any cash to pay for this ride?" the male colleague asks gruffly and I want to laugh in disbelief. Two boys, strewn baggage, a dramatic entrance - and he wants to ask about the train tickets. I'm about to give him a piece of my mind when Jungkook instantly starts rummaging through his duffel bag and hands some cash over to the colleague.

"For the ride and for your silence," he pleads. There's a moment of silence as we both look helplessly at the workers. The male leafs through the cash and I glance at Jungkook, brown hair a tangled mess and pressed up against his hand.

The male leaves in silence with Jungkook's cash. Jungkook slumps against the door, legs outstretched. I think for a few embarrassing moments that he is younger yet taller than me. I then start to rethink about when I rejected joining a running club - but then again, what the hell is a running club?

"Don't sit at the door," I warn as I try to push myself up. A bolt of pain rushes up my forearm into my shoulder and I yelp. An old lady frowns at us.

"Can someone make him stop yelling?" she asks crankily. Jungkook's catching his breath as he casts a cautious glance at me.

"Are you hurt?" he asks carefully as he scoots closer to me, trying to hold onto my arm. I keep it tightly close to me as I grit my teeth.

"No. We can talk about this later, not here. Get the bags. We're finding seats first," I say through the pain.

***

It takes Jungkook one trip for the bags. I'm plopped on the soft seats, looking out the window, as Jungkook closes the door to our little cabin. His long legs barely seem to fit.

"We need to do something for your arm," he says quietly and I snap my head at him. I consider him silently.

"How much money did you have?" I ask finally.

"A few hundred-"

"I'm not going to ask how you got that much money considering what you're wearing and everything-"

He looks like he's about to critique me for generalisation or discrimination so I correct myself.

"- it's an observation I'm not prejudiced against the poor. My next question is, how much did you give that man?"

"Like a hundred?"

My jaw hangs.

"You have - had - a few hundred and you gave him about a hundred. For both of us? That's way more than tickets cost-"

"- and for his silence," Jungkook adds.

That zips me up.

"I'll pay you back," I say after a while.

"Not now. You owe me. Just not in cash," he says, looking out the window, his knees brushing against mine. I furrow my brows.

"What's that supposed to mean? I'm not going to follow you to wherever you're headed just to return a favour," I sneer.

"You'll repay me before we part ways," he says calmly. That leaves me unsettled because this is a loose end. Jungkook is a loose end. It was supposed to go much more smoothly than this. I suppose the only thing Jungkook isn't responsible for is for the robbers.

We pass by a few miles of just trees when Jungkook pipes up.

"I know your arm still hurts."

I remain silent although the ever-present pain throbs through my arm.

"Let me look at it."

I chuckle humorlessly.

"You're a doctor now?" I mock him. He turns to face me and I do too.

"No, but I can tell if it's broken."

"And then what? It's broken and then what?"

"I'll find a doctor aboard."

I laugh more at that.

"Check my arm. It'll be broken and you definitely can't find a doctor aboard," I say confidently, sticking my arm out, pushing my sleeve up.

Jungkook frowns before putting his long skinny sticky fingers on my arm - everything is sticky from the night's rain. They press and push about, his head lowered in concentration. I look out the window - my only escape from his frustrating presence.

"Your arm isn't broken."