twenty-three

JIMIN

The horses start to slow and I gulp. It's too late. He knows. There's no way I can run from this.

The carriage halts and there's footsteps as Taehyung rounds the cage before standing right at the door. He calmly plants his hands on his sides and smirks.

"Look here, one of my sheep has run away," he pouts. All I see is red and I just really want to give him a good punch across the face.

"You bastard," I growl before I grab the bars beside the door and use that as leverage to swing myself (more specifically, my legs) at Taehyung. I kick him right where I know it really hurts with both feet and that sends him stumbling backwards onto the ground. I don't waste time throwing extra punches because I know that will keep him down for a while.

Enough time for me to untie one of the horses. I have to get up on the seat to lower myself down onto the horse since there are no stirrups. I've ridden a horse before (which is an absolute relief) and I'm confident this will get me as far away from Taehyung as possible.

I squeeze the sides of the horse with my legs and that gets it going.

Taehyung shoots me a murderous look as I whizz right past him.

It'll only be that long before he recovers and gets on the horse I left behind and chases me down - so I take this advantage and go even faster.

The wind bites at me but it's better than the cage.

I try to encourage the horse to go as fast as it can just so I can hopefully catch up to Jungkook - though how far could he really have gotten himself with his legs? Then I remember how he carried our baggage (both of our extremely heavy bags) and ran to the post box.

I have a lot of ground to catch up on, Jeon Jungkook.

I can feel the grin on my face grow bigger.

This whole runaway has gone to shit and I've not had anything to rely, to depend, on recently. But this. The familiar thrumming of another being's heartbeat alongside mine and the familiar hooves hitting the ground - I could rely on it.

***

It doesn't take long for me to run into Jungkook. He looks flushed like he just took a run (technically, yes, he did) and he stops when I stop the horse beside him. He braces himself on his knees and breathes heavily at the ground.

"I thought I told you to run into the trees," I mock as he continues gasping for air. He finally unfolds himself and lazily grabs at the reins of the horse and looks up at me. His cheeks are so pink and all the blood has rushed to his lips.

"I knew you'd escape and I wanted to make it easier for you to find me. I supposed it'd be easier if I stuck to the road," he grins sloppily.

"Get on then," I say and he releases the reins.

"How?"

"Grab on to the rein and use momentum to pull yourself up," I say simply.

"Get on behind me unless you want a blind rider," I add on. He's too tall to be sitting in front of me.

JUNGKOOK

It's not easy, mounting a horse. It takes me many tries before I can sit on the horse. It's an incredible feeling, being this high off the ground.

Jimin's also right in front of me and that's weird because... well, I don't know. It's just a weird feeling.

"Hold on unless you want to fall," he warns and I lift my limp arms and wrap them around his waist which automatically makes me move closer so it's less uncomfortable for me.

His heartbeat is in my palm.

I can feel his chest rise sharply and I'm about to tease him about it but the horse suddenly bolts off and knocks my breath away.

"Where to now?" I ask.

"We'll go to the next station, the train has to have arrived by then," he replies.

"And the horse?"

"We'll trade it for some money."

The rest of the ride is silent and I catch myself nodding off multiple times. More specifically, Jimin catches me nodding off multiple times. Every time I do, my arms loosen and he has to yell for me to wake up.