"The trucks in London at the grayhound.

JL"

Minutes before Billy's sitter arrived, Johnnie Lee looked at her son who again sat planted in front of the TV; she wanted more than anything to take him with her and try to fix the damage that his father had done but Billy was Harlan's pride and joy and if she took his son he would hunt her down to the ends of the earth and there was no doubt in her mind about what would happen when he found her.

"William, come say goodbye to momma" she called in her small voice from where she sat on the old, outdated sofa. William sighed, rolling his eyes at being interrupted before he reluctantly got up and went to his mother who lifted him onto her lap and hugged him tight, kissing his cheek as a tear slid down her own.

"Goddamn it, momma, quit!" he protested as he fought against her embrace all while his attention remained on the program he had been watching.

"Billy look at me" she ordered him in as stern a voice as she could muster. Again, the boy sighed and fixed his gaze on his mother.

"What?"

"I made your favorite for dinner"

"Pasketti?" he asked, his face lighting up as he flashed a big, toothless smile. Johnnie Lee couldn't help but laugh even in spite of the fact her heart was breaking at saying goodbye to her son.

"Yes"

"With meatballs?"

"A course silly, what's spaghetti without meatballs?"

"Thanks momma!" and for the first time in months, he hugged her and kissed her cheek. she put her arms around him and squeezed him tight against her, her eyes filling with tears that she tried not to cry but the tears won and fell in endless torrents. After a moment, she pulled away and stared at her son, memorizing every inch of his face - though she didn't need to.

'What are you cryin for woman?"

"I'm cryin because I love you and no matter what, I don't ever want you to forget that, you hear me?"

"Okay. Can I go eat now?"

"Not yet. I got somethin for ya" she said as she reached under the sofa and pulled out a box that was wrapped in bright blue paper.

"A present?" he never got presents just because and this was exciting.

"It's for ya birthday next week but I won't you to have it now. Go head, open it." he didn't waste time tearing the paper from the box and when he saw the gift underneath, his little eyes went huge and he thought he'd faint. It was the one thing he wanted in the whole world

"HE-MAN AND BATTLE CAT? THANK YOU MOMMA!" he cried as he threw his arms around her, deciding in that moment that he loved her as he buried his face in her long, thick red hair; never having noticed before how pretty it was. Johnnie didn't want to ever let the moment end but she knew that she had to for the sake of her unborn child.

"Don't ever forget that momma loves you" she cried "and don't ever forget me!" she kissed him one last time before letting him go. "Okay, your plate is on the table in the kitchen. Why don't you take your dolls with you while you eat?"

"They ain't dolls, only girls and faggots play with dolls, dummy!" he said with total nonchalance as he skipped off to the kitchen with his toys just as his sitter, Johnnie's very blonde and very buxom but not-so-bright 16 year old cousin Maddie entered the house dressed in her usual of too-short shorts, and a too-tight wifebeater with no bra that was cut too high and left nothing to the imagination.