24.Doc

*chapter contains rape, incest and violence*

.

"You do realize that you wouldn't be able to talk to Benson before morning - if she'll even agree to speak with you at all." Chief Arlow reminded Sam, handing the young man a cup of coffee as they sat in his small office.

"Yes sir, I do." Sam graciously thanked Arlow for the coffee as he accepted the cup of steaming liquid from the man and took a cautious sip before setting it down on the old, worn mahogany desk.

"You wanna give me the details?" Arlow asked, taking a sip from his own cup.

"I'm afraid there's not much I can tell you until after I speak with Sergeant Benson."

"Why is that?"

"It's complicated." Sam answered simply. There was a war raging inside him, fighting between doing what he knew was the right thing and protecting the father he loved even if right now he didn't like him very much, and it was tearing him apart.

"How did you some across this information?"

"I... My father..."

"Your father? And how did he get involved in this?"

Sam was silent for a long moment; one in which he wanted to run out the toor and never look back, a moment where he wished with all his heart that tonight had never happened, that he had never found his father in that house and that he'd never told him what Sheriff Holmes had forced him to do to Olivia; the images would never leave his head.

"Sir, my father...my father and Lucius Holmes were good friends and I..."

"You...?"

"I found out that my father may have been... He may have been a participant in some of what happened to that woman."

"Some of?"

"He... You know, maybe, maybe coming here was a bad idea, I..." Sam stammered as he moved to stand up.

"Sam, hold on. Now you obviously came here because you want to do the right thing, you wanna help Sergeant Benson because you know that what was done to her... Sam please, how might your father have been involved in this?"

Sam sighed before reclaiming his seat and began fidgeting with the coffee cup that he had placed upon Arlow's desk as he tried to find the words to explain to the Chief.

"Sheriff Holmes... My father says Sheriff Holmes forced him at gunpoint to have...to be...intimate with her."

"With Sergeant Benson?"

"Yes sir."

"...and did he say why Holmes would force him to do this?" Arlow couldn't recall Olivia ever having mentioned such a situation though he knew that it was common for victims traumatized by rape to have memory gaps and with Olivia having been held in that house a little over three months, perhaps this was one of the things that had yet to come back to her. With this in mind he listened objectively to what Sam had to say.

"He said that Holmes called him to the house three days ago to stitch up a wound."

"To...?"

"...my father used to be a doctor, and well, the townsfolk call him when...anyway, my father says he got to Holmes place and..."

Arlow sat quietly listening, his stomach turning as Sam recounted the story that his father had told him, and as he listened he couldn't help putting together the pieces of Olivia's statement.