71.Hidden in the Shadows

*Trigger warning*

*Please read this chapter with caution. It contains rape and violence.*

.

The night passed without a wink of sleep for Amanda and now here she was in her kitchen at just after five in the morning having that one cup of coffee she allows herself daily.

She still couldn't believe what happened and asked herself all night if she had heard what she thought she did? Over and over again, she told herself that there was no way that she couldn't have because it would mean that Eugenia had lied to her face about dying, and nobody could be that heartless!

Darrell's mom and sisters made their way to Manhattan when the twins were first born. But since they were two months old, Amanda had made it her business to take them to DC every month! Even now, she never tried to keep any of Darrell's family away, so why would Eugenia do this?

"No," she said aloud to herself. "...she wouldn't." She was still trying unsuccessfully to convince herself that she hadn't heard them bragging, unashamed about their plan. As much as she wanted to deny it, it happened, it was real, and she now had a choice to make with how she would handle it as she sat at the counter, staring at her mug. She knew one thing if nothing else, she had to apologize to Fin.

...

It was quiet all through the house in the middle of the night when she was woken from her sleep. Lying there in the dark she listened as the sound of footsteps- Harlan's footsteps made their way through the hall and her heart began to beat faster as his heavy boots got closer.

"Please God...!" She prayed silently as tears fell down her face, only to find that it was in vain as she heard the locks on the door opening one by one until the door creaked open. She listened to the sound of his belt buckle coming undone, then his zipper sliding down, and finally, denim rustling as he pushed his pants down his legs...

"Wake up, you fuckin whore!" Harlan said as he threw back the covers and grabbed her legs, flipped her onto her stomach, and pulled her to him.

She jumped awake, her heart beating so fast she felt that it would jump out of her chest. As she looked around her, in the darkness of the room she realized where she was; home. Her home that she shared with her family. Her beautiful children sleeping soundly beside her and their father. She needed the calming effects of her little family right now. Even if in their slumber, they didn't know that they were saving her from drowning right now.

She could feel the memories of that night. Honestly, she thought she had buried them a long time ago. She had no idea that when she woke up in that bedroom so long ago what would be forced upon her for months to follow. She'd never known that anyone could be as evil as Harlan was, and she had survived William, but this man was a different breed, and William couldn't keep up with Harlan on his best day.

She still saw his face whenever she closed her eyes, and two years later she still remembered his smell...his touch. Now, as if it weren't enough, those recordings that he made might be played in court, possibly in front of a jury. She'd avoided it more than a couple of times because of plea bargains, but she doubted that this man, Abernathy, would take that route. Ever since Barba told her that there were children involved, she knew that this man was a different breed.

She checked to make sure Serena was covered. This child never slept in the very expensive bed that she had. And she made sure that Fin was breathing before she got out of bed and stretched her back. Pains, partly from childbirth, partly from getting older, she thought as she went to the bathroom to pee.