thirteen | ❝thanks and fuck you.❞

Start from the beginning

"Hey! You said and I quote, 'Stinky people deserve the stinky pizza'," Jeremy protested.

Harry rolled his eyes and Noah laughed. "This one's for Mark, with extra tomato. This is for you, Jer, with extras of everything. And this is for Harry, wi-", Noah said, handing out the wraps when Anna snatched Harry's burrito off of Noah.

"Yeah, no way in hell am I having what you got for me," Anna said and dug into the burrito. 

Moments later, she started coughing uncontrollably, her ears and cheeks red. Jeremy and Mark tipped off their chairs, laughing like maniacs. Harry choked on his bite of the last wrap and Noah grinned boyishly.

"Too- hot- I- w-water." Tears poured out of her eyes and Anna rushed to the basin and rinsed her mouth. "You b-bastard. W-why? An-and how?" She asked between gasps for air and splashes of water while hanging her mouth open.

"Well, the moment I saw Harry come and stand next to you, I realized he was trying to get your wrap. And I knew that you wouldn't catch on to what he was doing for you so you'd definitely snatch whatever I handed to him. And you fell right into the peri peri pit I created for you," Noah threw his hand back in laughter.

He walked to where Anna stood while magically producing a miniature water bottle from his yoga pants. "There," he said and handed it to her.

Anna looked at him with suspicion but she had no choice. She accepted the water and gulped it down in one go. "Okay, this is okay. Thanks and fuck you," she roughly pushed the empty bottle and walked off towards the screens. 

"And if all of you are done laughing," she said, looking pointedly at a snickering Jeremy, a grinning Harry and a crying Mark, "we better get back to training."

"No bad blood?" Noah stood a few feet away from her, his hands pushed into his pockets. He looked up at her sheepishly and Anna sighed. "Fine. You got me fair and square. Again."

Noah's dark eyes immediately lit up. He grinned, "Thanks Ann, you are a sport." He punched her shoulder and pulled out a spare burrito from his pockets.

Anna stared at it in horror. "Is that even hygienic?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Ann. It's literally wrapped," he said, rolling his eyes.

Anna took the wrap gingerly and opened it. She took a small bite off of it and the creamy goodness of mayonnaise filled her mouth. She took another hungry bite and nodded her head at Noah. From the corner of her eye, she saw Harry pursing his lips.

"What?" She turned to him. "Oh. I am sorry I took a bite of yours. You want some?" She outstretched her hand to him, her bracelet chiming on her soft wrist.

"No. Guys, go to the storage space. We'll be greeting the new recruit there," Harry said, completely ignoring Anna.

Anna slapped her forehead, oblivious to Harry's change in mood. "Right, new recruit. Let's go."

She was about to walk towards the lobby after dumping the soiled paper of her wrap, when Harry intercepted her. "Uh huh, not so fast. You stay here, keep an eye on the cameras. See if she brings anyone along."

"She won't. Marvoni wouldn't send a fool." Anna saw Harry flinch and she caught on. "You don't want me there when she arrives, do you?" She asked and she heard an uncharacteristic sharpness in her tone.

Harry ran one of his tattooed hands through his hair, once again and Anna knew she was right. "Fine. I'll look after the surveillance."

"Anna, I-" Harry was interrupted by Anna, who held a hand up, silencing him. 

"Save it."

She turned away from him and sat down in front of the console, putting her chin in her hands. She looked disheartened and annoyed but Harry had no choice. He knew first hand what women could be like when they felt threatened. And believe it or not, any woman would be lucky if she felt jealous of Anna.

Her swift grace, her doe eyes, the way she spoke in a low yet strong tone, the way she carried herself, the way she could have him agreeing to anything, even buying furniture. He sighed. She'd never know because he would never admit it to anyone.

"Well? Your best friend awaits. Be gone, peasant," she waved him away.

Harry shook his head, exasperated. She was a real piece of work. Why couldn't she understand that he wanted her to be there? He just didn't want their new member to start feeling insecure right away. He turned on his heel and walked to the other room. Mark had already left to bring her, in the same fashion he'd brought Anna.

He could hear the light tapping of Anna's heels from the other room. Soon he heard the gentle roar of the engine die down. The car doors opened and then shut, the sound of shoes slapping against the concrete grew louder and louder. Finally, the newest recruit stood in front of them.

She looked soft but intimidating. Her rich brown hair was braided away from her face and into a tight bun on the top of her head. Her dark blue eyes stood out against her olive skin as they scanned the room, taking in the sight of every member present. She had a long scar that ran from the corner of her left eye to the lobe of her left ear. Her hands were rough unlike Anna's smooth ones and her smile held a menacing stance.

"Hi? Are you all usually this mum? Some code of conduct? Speak when thou art spoken to?" She said and laughed, her voice light and breezy. It didn't match her features which radiated her toughness.

"No, that's not a code. Being irresponsible, sleeping more than seven hours and walking around in your underwear is prohibited." Harry smiled, "Welcome to the team. I am Harry. The one who got you is Mark. The guy with glasses larger than his face is Jeremy. And the one who bites more than he can chew is Noah."

The girl smiled even further, her features softening. "That's quite the introduction. It's a pleasure to meet you all," she said, smoothing down her lavender dress.

Harry's eyes glinted, "It is. Oh, and one more thing. No one is allowed to fall in love with anyone present in this room. Got it?"

"Not a problem, Harry. It's only fair I introduce myself now. Hi, I am-" She was cut off by the loud clapping of heels as Anna rushed in like a tornado in the making.

"No. I want to know. I am so sorry, I cannot stay there alone. Where is she?" Anna said in one breath, her breathing loud and wild.

Harry looked at her with a glare so intense, Anna shrunk back a little. "I- I'll just come back later-"

"Just stay. She was just about to introduce herself." Harry patted the crate next to him.

Anna turned to face the new girl to apologize for the interruption. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the blue-eyed, coffee haired, lavender dressed girl. She'd looked into those eyes a few days ago. She'd know those eyes anywhere. After all, it was Zach's eyes that she saw.

"Mia?" Anna breathed out while the girl stood frozen, all the earlier toughness in her expression vanishing.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━