eight | ❝you'll come in guns blazing.❞

❝When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see the bad guy

When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see the bad guy.

☀︎︎

NO SOONER DID ZACH enter the communication room in their new apartment, he shrugged off his heavy coat and sat down at the control board. He clicked away at the buttons blinking on the dashboard and quickly pulled up a satellite image of David Hobey's car.

Within minutes of settling in, a button on the console began flashing and a low but persistent hum could be heard. Zach searched frantically for the headphones but he couldn't find them. A moment later, Tia came in and handed him the headphones which were hanging on the wall.

"And they say you are an agent," she chuckled and left the room before Zach could retort.

Zach couldn't rid himself of the smile that played on his lips. He had always liked Tia as much as a friend could. Sometimes when she talked back to him in that smooth sarcastic tone, he really wished he was more than a friend to her. But she'd never shown any kind of emotion towards him. And that was that.

Abandoning those thoughts, he quickly slipped on the headphones over his ears and pressed the receiving button on the board. "Hello?"

"Hi, yes, it's me. I'm in a car with-" A soft yet powerful voice as clear as day spoke. A voice he would recognize anywhere in the world.

"David Hobey. I know. I wasn't supposed to tell you to make sure the encounter looked real enough," he said, glad that Anna was okay.

"Zachary Davis, I can fake an encounter very well. You needn't question my abilities," she said, annoyance tinging her tone.

"Ann, pick that bone with Damien. Not my fault," he laughed and pictured Anna's scrunched-up face.

He continued, "He'll be taking you to a condo registered in Annabeth Curtis' name. The phone that you have with you right now is untraceable by anyone not having access to the satellite code it is connected to.

It's basically a tiny black box with numbers and a speaker. Use it as little as possible. For going out in public, buy another phone.  Call me up at midnight with the satellite one every single day with your daily report or-"

"You'll come in guns blazing. I know. What's next?" Anna said and faked a perfect yawn.

"Okay, Miss Know-It-All, I've had enough of that smart mouth. Now zip it and listen to me," he said and heard Anna laugh that tinkling laugh he loved.

"Your first course of action will be to get out. Roam the city but like a tourist. Talk to people but don't give out too much. Make your presence known but remain mysterious. We need to lure Florian in. Is that clear?"