thirty one | ❝you need to have faith.❞

❝Drowned in darkness, confined in pain

Drowned in darkness, confined in pain.

☀︎

ANNA DRUMMED HER FINGERS nervously against the cool windowpane. It was five thirty, not the best time to have nerves. They would reach Genesis Financial Corp. in a matter of minutes. She was nervous but she knew what she had to do.

Harry could have killed her and no one would have been alerted until it was too late. He had given her a second chance at life. That was as good as her owing him a life debt. She intended to repay him in ways that would not backfire.

Anna knew that if Harry valued anything, it was loyalty. The one thing he wanted though, was the Agapi Mou. She could not just hand it over to him. Her heart sank. She could very well be fired and disgraced or even jailed if she did anything of that sort.

She clicked her tongue in exasperation. "What are you worried about now?"

Mia's analytical face came into Anna's view. She was sitting right in front of her. Noah was listening to Back in Black beside Anna and Harry was asleep next to Mia. He was taking a power nap for later. Mark was on the wheel and Jeremy was riding shotgun. 

Mark had not said a word to either Harry or Anna since the day they had come clean to each other. He had not told the crew anything either. That was the least of Anna's worries, what with Harry's crazy, not dead, father trying to kill her.

But Mia did not need to know that. "Nothing. Just nerves."

"Are you sure? You look a little pale." Mia laid back lazily into her seat, waiting for Anna to reply.

"Nerves."

"Okay, seriously, what's wrong?" Mia pulled Anna away from Noah, closer to her. She whispered slowly, "Did you, you know, talk to my brother?"

Anna bit her lip. Among all the other things that were happening to her, she had completely forgotten about Mia. Anna wanted to punch herself in the face. She had promised that she would get her back into the agency but so far, she hadn't even acknowledged her presence.

That's the kind of friend she was. The backstabbing and dishonest kind. Anna clasped her fingers tightly and she could feel her nose starting to flare. She hoped Mia would not notice.

"I- I kind of, you know," Anna stuttered, flicking the beads on her bracelet. She'd never leave it behind but it was proving to be a hindrance to her lying.

"You didn't talk to him, did you?" Mia said, crossing her arms in defiance. She kept her eyes level with Anna's, drilling into her mind.

"I did," Anna blurted out. She was lying but that was all she did these days anyway. "I mean, I might have hinted but I don't know if-"

"Save it, Anna. Your nose is flaring and you're fidgeting with that bracelet." Mia leaned forward, her arms resting on Anna's thighs.

"You know, I never trusted you. I knew you were bound to put yourself before anyone else again. You are disgusting in that way. You have never treated anyone else the way you want them to treat you. So, don't worry about me, I have learnt to take matters into my own hands."