Chapter 36

I stared at Gyth with wondering eyes as I wait for him to explain things further.

He turned to face me after getting a vivid view of the moon, his features evident with worry. “Chevel..” He muttered warily as my chest pounded constantly in anticipation.

“Listen carefully to what I have to say.” He said and the anxiety began to build up rapidly inside my head.

My eyes drifted over to him and as soon as I met his green ones, my heart found solace.

But the next words that came out of his mouth was too hard to swallow.

“The king wanted you to take part in the training at his castle. It will last for a week or more.” He uttered as I fixated my eyes towards his, finding it hard to soothe the trembling of my hands.

So it was me.

It was me that has to go. So why did Gyth told Dicarius that he’d be gone? Is he also going elsewhere?

Various circumstances began popping in my mind that I couldn’t help but be afraid for the second life I have.

For some reason, it seemed like I saw it coming in the back of my mind. I knew something like this would happen sooner or later.

I was too selfish and proud of wanting to stay in my human form while others threw it away in exchange for a peaceful life.

Gyth’s hands suddenly found mine and the tears that have been wanting to flow, flooded my cheeks in an instant.

“Chevel. I’ll come with you. I won’t let you be there alone.” Gyth said making my eyes sprung open in shock.

Am I hearing things? Did I heard him right?

I stared at his eyes for a while before a smile began forming on my lips whilst the tears continued to flow down my cheeks.

I jumped over to him, engulfing him in my embrace. As the sudden realization of what I did sunk in, I immediately pulled myself from his chest.

I lowered my head in an attempt to hide the vivid tint on my cheeks.

Suddenly, Gyth’s monotonous laugh resonated throughout the room and my eyes instantly darted towards him.

He’s been so stressed out lately and seeing him laugh like this made me feel oddly fulfilled.

“You’re really an odd one.” Gyth said, wiping the residue in his eyes from the excessive laughter.

I giggled softly and shifted my gaze back to him. His lips soon formed a smile, which I instantly gave back.

“Chevel. We’ll be going tomorrow evening.” He said and a lump suddenly formed in my throat.

It is sooner than what I’ve imagined but as long as Gyth is with me, I know I'll be alright.

Gyth’s POV

The next morning, I woke up earlier than the sun. I glanced towards the window seat where Chevel is fast asleep before I got ready for the day.

The pillow is tightly enclasped in her arms whilst her hair glistened against her back. I tucked the strands of hair behind her ears that were dangling on her face, revealing the serenity of her features.

Kuppuru suddenly popped his head from the covers and that was my signal to walk away. I paced quietly towards the bathroom not wanting to wake her up from her slumber.

I decided to wake her after walking out of the closet. I sat beside her sleeping figure and lightly tapped her shoulder.

When she didn’t budge, I slid the curtains open and the rays of the sun peeking from the tall trees shone through the window.

She groaned and mumbled desperately for a little more sleep but I pulled her gently from the bed.

“Chevel you need to get ready. I’ll gather everyone after breakfast.” I said. She nodded still half asleep as she groggily walked towards the bathroom door.

I followed her shortly behind worried of her wobbly state.

Breakfast went by slowly as if we’re trying to stall time. Chevel would always force a smile everytime she caught me looking at her, which made me even more worried.

Once everyone has eaten, I ordered Sebastian to gather everyone in the main hall.

It’s about time to announce my leave.

I stood in front of the balustrade where the stairs are connected to get a better view of everyone. Chevel is standing behind me whilst Dicarius is on top of the banister.

Little by little, my underlings are filling the main hall.

As someone in charge of them, I familiarize myself with each of their faces and so before I start my announcement, I made sure that everyone is present.

“Sir everyone’s here.” Dicarius said as I scanned everyone’s faces to be certain.

I cleared my throat once I confirmed everyone’s presence.

“To my faithful underlings, my family. I hereby announce my leave of absence indefinitely for a few weeks or so.” I stated firmly and various murmurs soon filled the hall.

“I’ll be lodging at the king’s castle as per the king’s approval.” I continued.

The mumbling turned into whispers and soon panic began filling the hall.

I ran my hands over my face in frustration as I let out a long sigh.

“Silence.” I said sharply, which echoed across the hall.

Their faces instantly turned to look at me as I stared sternly over them.

“I knew that this would cause a panic and so while I’m gone, my familiar, Dicarius would take over the castle.” I stated as Dicarius flapped his wings proudly.

"Now, I’ll start the awakening.” I said while everyone’s attention is fixated to mine.

I clasped my hands together as I took a deep breath. This might be the first time in centuries that I’ll awaken a familiar.

Amongst the ones I’ve reincarnated, Dicarius was the one I chose to be my familiar. A familiar makes a pact with his master and so when needed, the master could awaken its hidden powers.

I slit my wrist with my scythe and held it on top of Dicarius, letting the blood drop inside his beak.

Everyone’s faces are flustered as a dark aura began surrounding him. I, myself watched it carefully since it’s been so long since I last witness such thing in the king’s castle.

After quite a while, Dicarius’ silhouette enlarged and the dark vile evaporated into thin air.

The faces of everyone watching on the main hall grew with mixtures of fear and shock as a half human and half crow stood before their very eyes.