Chapter 48

"Well, it was all just kind of an introduction. First, they assigned our beds. Which, you have one now." He began as I nodded while trying to stay attentive.

"Now for this one you might need to take some notes." Vernon said taking out a notebook.

I raised my brow in confusion as he turned a few pages. "You didn't sat in a room and took notes while a teacher is discussing in front, right?" I asked.

He raised his brow back to me as he made himself comfy on my bed and we both leaned against the headboard. "That would be quite a good scenario per se but it was a reaper who talked over and not everyone were taking notes, only diligent ones did." He said, proudly flipping his notebook.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure you only lasted a page." I said stifling a laugh.

"To that I say balderdash." Vernon said, turning a page and showing me the pages full of ink.

I stared at it in awe and further flipped through the pages only to find beautifully written paragraphs and sketches.

"Vernon, I didn't knew you'd have a nice handwriting! You also draw well!" I gasped in whispers.

"I appreciate your praises but we need to begin our lesson." Vernon said clearing his throat, his cheeks visibly blushing in the dim light. I chuckled at his sudden shyness.

"Underworld beings." He said, pointing towards his notes.

"Lesson 1. Basically, underworld beings are generally called as demons but they branch into several kinds. The high ranking ones include hybrid demons, succubi and incubi, and grim reapers."

"First you should learn about are the hybrid demons." He said, showing me a sketch that resembles Lilith's henchman.

"As you notice, they vary in size and shape and mostly are half-beasts. They're known to hold tremendous brute strength and so they use that to their advantage." He briefly explained and I nodded in response.

"In short, they look horrible." I muttered and he looked at me with a raised brow.

He scrunched up his nose and tilted his head in doubt. "Okay.. that too." He agreed in the end and I proudly smiled.

"Next are incubus and succubus. Unlike hybrid demons, they don't rely on their physical strength. They're very intelligent and eloquent beings. They're sexual demons who looks identical to humans." Vernon said, flipping a page and showing me a rough sketch.

"But don't be deceived by their elegant and charming appearance or they'll take advantage of you." He warned me.

"In short, they're perverted." I muttered and he sighed glaring at me. "Focus, Chevel." He said, softly knocking my head.

"Okay! I get it." I mouthed raising my hands in surrender.

"Mind you that their charms only work to their opposite sex. Succubi to men and incubi to women." Vernon added in a creepy tone, making me quite nervous.

"Lastly are the grim reapers." He began.

"You might already know about them since your master is a reaper but if I may explain, they were humans in their waking lives in the human world and were handpicked by the king himself to be grim reapers of the underworld. Their memories are obliterated and they completely lose their human souls as they become reapers." Vernon explained and I recalled how Gyth only knew of his name and nothing else.

"Those three kinds are the next hierarchy after the king. Of course there are also ranks within each houses but that's out of our knowledge." He further explained.