Chapter 34

Chevel’s POV

Lucifer

It seems like Lucifer is the king’s name. His fearsome appearance flashed back in my mind and I can’t help but tremble as I suddenly felt a cold breeze pass through the empty hall.

His question almost astonished me but at the same time my fear was predominant that I couldn’t care less of what he was about to say.

He seems to have knowledge as to why my hair and eyes strangely turned to silver but Gyth stopped him before he could even open his mouth again.

I'm guessing Gyth is pretty close to the king. The way he talked informally with him was a marvel to me. He was called the favored reaper by the villagers for a reason.

Gyth left me to my own accord outside the throne room. The long hallway seems to be quiet and deprived of any creatures roaming around.

I have to stay on guard though I have Gyth’s badge. But I guess demons can’t really attack whenever they want if you have a badge. That would just mean you’re getting yourself in a fight with the owner of the said badge.

Thoughts kept swarming in my head as I struggled to keep myself calm. I got to remind myself that Gyth is just on the other side of the door every time I get dithery.

Almost an hour passed and my knees finally gave out. I flopped on the floor, hugging my knees close to my chest as I wait for Gyth’s business to be done.

The castle is strikingly colder than it is outside. It seems to get colder with every minute passing by. Thankfully, I wore Gyth’s cape though it didn’t really help that much.

I clasped my hands together as I breathe through my mouth in order to induce some heat towards my shaking hands.

Suddenly, a silhouette by the corner caught my attention. I instantly panicked, pulling my body up as I supported my weight against the wall.

He glanced over his shoulder, enough for me to catch a glimpse of his face.

For some reason, I knew just by seeing the sapphire glint in his eyes that I’ve seen him before.

“Wait!” I muttered softly that echoed across the eerily silent halls when his silhouette suddenly turned to walk away.

He flinched halting almost immediately upon hearing my voice.

“You’re.. Dante right?” I asked hesitantly and I saw his shadow glance over his shoulder as if surprised that I was able to recognize his stature.

It might not be the wisest decision but I stalled time by trying to converse with him. Since I’ve met him before, I thought that it’d be better to have his presence than some demon that might be incidentally passing by.

“Are your wings healed?” I asked sitting back on the floor and I was surprised to see his shadow motioned to walk towards my direction when the throne room’s door suddenly burst opened.

I darted my gaze towards the opened door and saw Gyth’s tensed features.

He knelt down immediately to my eye level as soon as he noticed my figure on the floor.

“Why are you on the floor? Are you okay?” He asked as he held my arms and stood me up.

“I was just.. cold.” I answered as he draped his arm around mine.

“Let’s get out of here.” He said and I glanced back towards Dante’s silhouette only to find him gone.

We descended the stairs and passed by the demons at the dining hall that were already having their supper. I guess we used up a lot of our time here.

By the time we got out of the castle, it was already getting dark. As usual, Gyth held me in his arms as we flew back to his castle.

The way his emerald eyes reflected underneath the moonlight was almost as magical as a fairytale. But the dark ambience in his features tells otherwise.

It might have to do with what the king told him and that has been bothering me since.

The travel back to his castle was pretty much silent and as soon as we’ve arrived, Dicarius and the others greeted us by the gates. It seemed like they were slightly worried since we came back late without any notice.

Supper was already served when we went to the dining hall and I didn’t got to eat much since I was feeling quite exhausted.

I glanced over to Gyth and he’s pretty much the same. I can tell by the looks of his eyes that his mind has been elsewhere. He’s been lost in his thoughts since we got back.

After supper, I prepared a warm bath for Gyth as soon as I finished bathing myself. The dark mood he is emitting is kind of intimidating for me but I hope I can bring myself to talk to him.

I settled on the window seat with Kuppuru in my lap as I wait for Gyth to come out.

The sudden click on the door made my breath hitch and I found my eyes on Gyth’s drenched hair down to the shallow grooves beneath his toned abs.

I shook my head, reminding myself to concentrate on the task at hand as I breathed deeply before uttering a word.

“Gyth?” I muttered once he stepped out of the closet. He glanced towards me before walking straight to his bed.

I followed his movement with my eyes till he settled himself on the bed.

“Chevel, can you sleep with me tonight?” He mumbled with a majestically gruff voice leaving me stunned.

I instantly found his green eyes gleaming like an emerald through the dark staring right through mine. I felt the sudden heat in my cheeks as his words sunk in.

Without uttering any word, I found myself slowly pacing towards his fine countenance.

I sat hesitantly by the edge of the bed and soon felt his hands in my arms. He pulled me closer to him and suddenly engulfed me in his embrace.

The sudden gesture made me a tad nervous but I didn’t dare to pull back.

“Is there a problem?..” I asked and he slowly unwrapped his arms from mine. His eyes showed hints of weariness as they fixated on mine.

“Let’s rest for now.” He uttered, lying down the bed.

I hope I could talk to him tomorrow. He looked very much tired and stressed out.

With that in mind, I proceeded to lie down the far left of the bed as I felt the exhaustion from my body.

“Chevel..” Gyth muttered and I searched for his eyes in the darkness.

I felt a sudden cold sensation on my hand as soon as I met his emerald eyes.

“Come here.” He said, making my heart skip a beat.

My chest pounded so loudly with the piercing silence around us that made me worried he'll be able to hear it.

When I didn’t move, his hand pulled me dangerously closer to him and I was left in daze.

He then draped his arm under my head whilst the other rested against my back.

I can feel his breath brushing my hair as his chin rested against my head whilst mine is against his chest.

The position we are in sent alarms throughout my body. I won’t be surprised if he’s to hear the thumping in my chest.

We stayed like this for a while when I suddenly heard a soft snore emitting from his mouth.

The silent night accompanied with Gyth's chilling embrace was never a combination I thought I'd opt to relish.

This will be a long night.