Chapter 56

The hour passed by in a blur with Elil and the others successfully transforming into various appearances of demons. Even though I’m quite relieved, I can’t help but be tormented on the number of casualties.

The casualties rose in numbers each round and as we stood in the main hall for the ending remarks, below the platform in front of where Lilith and her henchmen stood are piles of bodies covered in white clothing.

“This is yet to be the batch that had the largest number of casualties.” Lilith said and my nails bore to my palms as I feel the incessantly pain in my chest.

“Congratulations to everyone who survived.” She said and the crowd of humans began shouting and crying in triumph.

It was horrendous to watch them rejoice with a pile of dead bodies in front of us.

What has become of mankind?

It seemed like they’ve become demons themselves.

“And may the white cloths covering these fallen ones be their peace.” She said proudly before descending the platform.

“No it wouldn’t.” I mumbled under my breath, looking down on my feet as tears escaped my eyes.

Emily gave me a comforting pat on my shoulder which I hoped made me feel better.

“You lot should take a rest.” Sir Zeniv said gaining our attention.

“Yes sir. Again, I’d like to express my greatest gratitude to you.” Emily said bowing down.

“Then you should thank Elil instead.” He said and we all turned towards Elil who’s surprisingly discomfited of such attention.

“That won’t be necessary, please.” He said waving his hands. I smiled in response to his humility.

“Still, you were a great help. Thank you for going such lengths for us.” I said and the emotions his face held was something that left warmth in my chest.

“You are indeed stubborn.” He grinned.

“Until we meet again.” Elil said as they walk off towards the right wing of the castle.

“We sure met good demons along the way.” Emily said with a huge smile on her face as a tear fell from the corner of her eye.

“Come on. Let’s get some rest.” Vernon said coming in between us.

“You two should go.” I said pulling away.

“What? Why?” Vernon asked and Emily shook her head, grabbing him by the arm.

“Why are you so clueless?” Emily said pulling him to the exit while nodding towards my way. I smiled in response and took off to Gyth’s chamber in a hurry.

I knocked on his door, fighting the urge to just open it as I impatiently waited outside.

“Gyth!” I cried out as soon as the door opened only to be greeted by an unfamiliar looking man.

“Oh.” The man said, both of us still in shock.

“Ah. You must be the lady.” He said greeting me with a warm smile.

“Come inside.” He offered and I hesitantly accepted in curiosity of Gyth’s whereabouts.

“Come sit. Don’t be hesitant. I’ll take you to Gyth after I pack some of his clothes.” He said and my eyes instantly turned towards him upon hearing Gyth’s name.

“It’s rather an unusually early meeting isn’t it?” He said and I was left with various questions in my head. I was confused of who this man might be and what’s his connection with Gyth.

“Oh pardon me for not introducing myself. I’m Malluk, Gyth’s father.” He introduced himself and my mouth parted in daze.

“His father?!” I blurted out, springing up from my seat.

“M-my greatest apologies for being impolite! I’m Chevel Strange, under the care of your son!” I stumbled on my words bowing down to him.

He stifled a laugh and I sighed in utter embarrassment.

“Well not exactly his biological father. Just his father in the underworld.” He said with a smile.

I smiled watching him as he tidily folded Gyth’s clothes with utmost care. It’s nice to know that Gyth has someone he can call as family in the underworld. It made me feel relieved.

“He’s asleep right now. I heard he was prohibited from coming to the training grounds so he hid himself in my room. What a kid he is.” He said shaking his head as I fought the urge to laugh.

“All done.” He said taking the folded clothes in his arms. “I’d like to take you with me but the highest floor is prohibited to humans. Stay here, I’ll tell Gyth you’ve come.” Malluk said standing up.

“Oh no. That won’t be needed. I’ll just see him another day. He should take his rest.” I said meeting his eyes that are startled.

He dropped the clothes back on the table and I was left stunned as he approached me and buried me in his arms.

“What a good child you are.” He said gently brushing my hair as he pulled back.

“Your training just ended but you came running here and yet you’d still choose not to bother his rest when you yourself must have been awfully drained of energy.” He said continually brushing my hair as he looked me in the eyes and I can’t help but be reminded of my father and my mother.

It didn’t take long for the tears to fall and I found myself crying in his arms.

“There, there.” He comforted me in such way that took all my weariness away.

“I’ll see you again, my child.” Malluk said as we parted ways.

“You! Get inside now.” The guard by the doors of my quarters said hastily ushering me inside.

Not a soul was awake as I entered the quarters. It was indeed a very draining day. The clock struck nine as I finished cleaning myself and as soon as I laid down the bed, my eyes went to sleep.

A/N: hello loves, im checking in today 🤔 how are you all doing and feeling? Thank you for the votes, comments, and reads ❤️ I see you all 🧐 and I'm terribly sorry if I'm not as responsive as before. These days have been tough for my mental health but I do appreciate you all. You put a smile on my face every comment vote and read I see 🥰 take care yall! 💕