Chapter 42

My eyes fixated on the whip in the henchman’s hand as he stood beside the tied man.

“Ten lashes should suffice.” Lilith said and my eyes swung towards her in disbelief. She noticed my gaze and returned it back. “Double it if he makes a sound.” She added as she fixated her gaze to mine and a sudden lump filled my throat.

Before I could even make out of the situation, the henchman raised the whip in the air and swung it towards the man’s back.

My mouth dropped open as the horror unfold before my eyes. The strong swing from the whip cut the thin clothing that the man was wearing and left a long cut on his skin. Strange enough, the man didn’t scream nor cry. He just gnashed his teeth, clearly taking it all in.

My breath hitched as the henchman made another strong whip. The room was filled with direful silence and there we were, waiting undoubtedly outside wondering what the training would be. No wonder we couldn’t hear a single sound from outside. Now that we’re in the middle of the situation, the suppressed screams of the man are enough to deafen our ears.

The lashing continued and felt endless. I was beginning to lose my sanity when suddenly I felt a warm touch squeezing my clasped hands. I turned to Vernon whose eyes are furrowed and still focused onto the horror unfolding before us.

I bit my lip, preventing the tears that wanted to escape my eyes as I averted my attention back to the henchman who’s still swinging the whip towards the man. They lashed his back until blood came out of his mouth yet he remained silent.

After exactly ten lashes, Lilith stopped his henchman and the man collapsed on his knees. She took her whip back and I can’t help but notice the creepy satisfaction on her face.

“Well done you two. You’re both one of the few who didn’t shed tears or went insane.” Lilith said wiping off the stains of blood from her whip.

“That,” She paused, sternly looking at both of us. “is your faith” She said meeting my eyes. “if you fail to obey orders.” She finished.

“Come with me.” One of Lilith’s henchmen said, leading us to the back door.

We both stood up and I suddenly felt the heavy weight on my knees. Vernon instantly held me up to my feet, not wanting to catch anyone’s attention.

“Thank you.” I mouthed towards him.

The henchman opened the door and the pungent metallic smell immediately filled my nostrils. I covered my mouth and fought the urge to vomit as I scanned the room and found several wounded humans lying on the floor.

“Continue walking.” The henchman said as he passes by the humans covered with long cuts.

The realization immediately came to my mind that these humans were all used for our training today.

I felt Vernon’s hand suddenly held mine as he forced me to walk past them. I let him drag me as I closed my eyes, knowing fully that tending to these humans will only get me in trouble.

“Ten lashes and he didn’t even made a sound.” I murmured after barely passing through the wounded humans. “It’s just.. too cruel.”

“I know.” Vernon muttered back and my eyes instinctively drifted towards him.

“But it’s the best option he had at the time.”  Vernon said comforting me as he gave my hand a soft squeeze and flashed me a warm smile. I released a sigh and forced a smile back. He’s right. The man would’ve been lashed twenty times at most if he made a sound.

“I couldn’t thank you enough for taking good care of me back there but thank you.” I muttered, locking my gaze in his hazel ones.

He shyly looked away for a moment and met with my eyes once again. “I’d always be glad to.” He responded, flashing a wide smile that showered me with warmth.

“You can go back to your quarters now.” The henchman said as we stepped out of the room.

My eyes immediately found Gyth leaning against the wall. My lips involuntarily formed a smile as I let go of Vernon’s warm hands and ran over to Gyth’s cold embrace.

“It’s okay now.” Gyth said with the warmest words.