Chapter 43

Gyth’s POV

“My apologies great sir, only humans can enter this room. You can wait outside the exit door.” The drat henchman said as I was about to enter the room.

“Do you even know who I am?!” I taunted. “The king approved of my presence throughout the training.” I said sternly.

“Great sir, I’m only following orders.” The henchman responded as I struggled to peek inside the room before he forcedfully closed it.

“Drat.” I mumbled to myself.

I leaned against the wall in front of the room’s door in defeat. Before the henchman could even close the door, Chevel’s eyes met mine for a split second. I could tell that she felt unease.

Not to mention she’s with that red-haired man again.

Well, he’s human just like her.

I shook the thought off my mind and patiently waited for Chevel to come out. It’s been almost an hour since they’ve been inside and the ring didn’t respond once.  I would’ve instantly known if she’s in danger because she has my badge.

An hour already passed when the door opened. My eyes instantly darted towards Chevel’s flowing silver locks as she walked out the door, a brush of relief flowing inside me.

My attention suddenly whipped towards the red-haired man beside her and towards his hand that’s currently clasped against Chevel’s. I suddenly felt something unpleasant brewing inside me as I stared towards their intertwined fingers.

All of a sudden, Chevel’s hand instantly let go of the man’s and the next thing I felt is her warmth enveloping my body.

Chevel is in my arms, safe.

“It’s okay now.” I whispered to her ears as I wrapped my arms around her.

I glanced in front of me and the red-haired man is still standing there, watching us intently. He flinched as soon as he noticed me looking at him and instantly darted his gaze elsewhere.

“I-I’ll be going now, Chevel..” He stuttered, looking at the floor as he scratched the nape of his neck.

“Oh Vernon. Again, thank you.” Chevel said, sliding off her arms from mine as she turned to look at him.

“I-I’ll see you later then.” The man Chevel called Vernon said and hastily walked out the hallway.

“I see you’ve made yet another friend.” I said and she turned to look at me with a smile on her face. “Yes.” She beamed. I sighed. I guess she’s that happy to make human friends alike.

“Let’s go in my chamber before you go back to your quarters.” I said as I drifted my gaze towards her hand.

“What’s the matter?” She asked for I stared at her hand long enough.

I darted my eyes towards her and back to her hand. Full of doubts, I reached for her hand puzzled.

“What’s wrong Gyth?” She asked.

“Well, I’m quite puzzled as to how that human held your hand.” I answered truthfully and her eyes suddenly widened in surprise accompanied by an almost imperceptible blush.

“What? You’ve held my hand multiple times.” She giggled as if she thought my words were mere jokes.

“Not the impressive way he held yours.” I said in a more serious tone, fixating my eyes to hers, convincing her that my statement was indeed earnest.

Her laugh turned to a smile as she looked at me. “No offense intended but why wouldn’t you know a supposedly common knowledge?” She asked.

A common knowledge? If it is then why wouldn’t I know such a thing? Questions I’m unable to answer by myself filled my mind.