Chapter 34 ❆ Nemeria

After bringing back the kid to the Temple, my relationship with the Vertvaldenians housed alongside us improved by a huge leap. I tried to say I hadn't been of much help, but they insisted on showering me with gratitude in place of the actual guy who helped the kid.

Having inadvertently stolen credit from Black Flame, I felt very guilty.

Later on, I was told the child was called Oleyn.

The fact that I also brought back some bread further ingratiated myself with everyone. It was a startling development, one that I didn't expect would actually happen.

I could glean Mistress Kora was very proud. Mistress Veronika too. They had been urging me to connect with them for a long time, but I had a phobia of large crowds. I could tolerate the fear, but I wasn't very comfortable. These folks were very community-centric, which posed a very big challenge for me.

"Evy. Evyionne. Such a good child," said the old lady. "You come and eat with us, ah? So many fresh things here."

"Thank you, grandma." With flushed cheeks, I stepped forward to partake in the meal.

I admit to being a shy soul. I never really had the confidence nor courage to step forward and forge a better relationship with them. What more, I didn't have the guts to accept their kindness considering they were not living well, but I also didn't have the heart to turn down their sincerity.

I suppose these reasons were among the few as to why Elion was so hesitant in asking for my help. But now, I knew where he was coming from.

Having to live the way they did—helpless about the local language and culture...I couldn't even imagine half of it. What I saw today was only a fraction of the sufferings they have gone through.

As I dug into the bowl of foreign cuisine, I felt warmth and connection that I never realized I was missing. A sense of familiarity...a way to have my questions answered. It was a step closer to my origins.

This emptiness—I suddenly realized it was there. My mother's death had left a hole in my heart. Though I was very contented with the company of my mistresses, nothing would beat the presence of blood-related kin.

I would have the chance to find out more about my birth parents. It was just a matter of planning out how to do so.

The prospect of getting some clues made me very nervous. I thought of bringing it up many times, but I never actually had the heart to do it.

I was scared.

"Elion asked me a favor," I said, stirring my bowl of hot stew. "I have been learning to speak Sarenillian with him for a while."

"It doesn't seem so. You've gotten a tight grasp of it," said one of the elders.

"Language is my forte," I replied with a smile. "Also...I have been reading up on books from Vertvalden for a while. My...mistresses used to buy them for me all the time. I love books. And I love learning.

"I never really got to see either of my parents and I don't get anything other than what I see in the books, so..."

I bit down on my lip, lowering my eyes to evade the pervasive gaze of the old matriarch. She was the oldest and wisest among the community here. People looked to her for guidance.

"What troubles you, child?" the matriarch asked.

"I..."

"Is it about your origins?" she asked.

I looked up and nodded.

"After we finish eating, why don't you come to my tent later and tell me what you have about your parents?" She gazed into my eyes searchingly. "Or do you not know anything?"