Chapter 14 ❆ Opening

Important note: I write everything at the top of my head with no planning ahead whatsoever—try to get all the ideas down and revisit everything later for revisions

Important note: I write everything at the top of my head with no planning ahead whatsoever—try to get all the ideas down and revisit everything later for revisions. The version you're reading, therefore, is severely flawed.

Also, I'm rewriting Black Ice to be in Third Person Limited (Evy's perspective still, so nothing much will change). I'll still continue writing in First Person for Wattpad readers though, because that'll force me to rewrite everything when the time comes that I have to.

That being said, if you ever decide to read the more "professional" version of this series, it'll be a very different experience—and of publishable quality.

EVERYTHING YOU READ NOW IS SUBJECT TO CHANGES.

We stood anxiously before Mistress Veronika, wondering what she had to say to us three. Though the woman did not usually act on anger, she was upfront about her opinions and were very harsh with punishments, especially with regards to training.

"Good job," she told us three, switching to Veneryali to address us comfortably. She must be doing this out of consideration to Erenol and Maun.

"Now that you've come this far, all that's left to do is hope for the best. I'm not pressuring you three—actually, I am. We have nothing else planned if you don't get within the Top Five, so make sure you try your best in this one as well."

We all nodded.

"Now, to give you all an idea of what the elimination round is going to be...it's going to be a masked competition," she told us. "I had this all made for you." She brought out three elaborate masks and handed all of is one.

Mine was a red lion head. Eren's was a siren's crying face. Maun, lastly, had a white dragon face. Each mask were built onto a cloth that went around the head and covered the hair swell. We wouldn't have any problem hiding our identities through these.

"A...masked competition?" Eren echoed as she fingered the elaborate image of the mask in her hand.

Mistress Veronika crossed her arms and nodded. "That's right. Talents who make it in the final elimination round aren't always simple people. The last round will be open for the public to see. Many people over the country will come to watch—and this includes the powerful ones. The examinees have a way to impress and attract certain people into recruiting them to be privately nurtured to serve them only. Of course, we are not aiming for this. Not to mention Maun will most likely be a very hot target for these people."

Maun pointed to himself, jaw going slack as he heard Mistress Veronika's words.

"That's right, son." She nodded. "You know there's only truth in my words. That being said, the Temple has been, in the most recent years, protecting the identity of potential recruits in order to prevent them from being poached very early until towards the end of the elimination. Very soon, you will be called to room in the Temple, though you already are here so it doesn't matter."