Chapter 17 ❆ Caution

Took me a while to get this chapter out, but better late than never!

The audience in the arena was just as many as the day before. Just as noisy. People were just as wild and excited. I would assume that, with their enthusiasm, they severely lacked some form of entertainment—or that was only how interested they were in martial arts.

I tugged on the furry gloves that covered my fingers, stepping onto the big stage to face the honey-ladle head, Honey Beast. I had previously been inclined to view him nicely, but his snide remarks the day before ticked me off. It was not enough to regard him with hostility, but it was definitely enough for me to try to give him a harder time than he was probably expecting.

"Today's first fight will be between Honey Beast and Lionheart! Place your money and place your bets!"

I stepped back and faced the opponent, evaluating him. His stance was very relaxed. There was not even a hint of caution as I stepped up and got into the first stance.

He tipped his head back. I could almost imagine a grin under the mask.

I could feel some coldness inching from under my skin, threatening to spring out at any given moment. I had the solution that Mistress Kora brewed, but I wouldn't want to depend on it to solve my problems.

I was going to have to do this the old-fashioned way, and without anything to aid me.

I took a deep breath to calm the rising ire that bubbled in my chest. Anger was a powerful thing, but it didn't always work for the one feeling it. Mistress Veronika precisely told me to use it and forge myself further, but to not let it burn me.

This was a good test on my patience, and also perhaps a good exercise in controlling my power. I knew I was a disadvantage since I wouldn't be able to use it, but it was much better than accidentally murdering some people.

Just the thought of those creatures...and that frost...turning everyone to ashes sent my toes curling in disgust. I had been a little excited at the thought of having extraordinary abilities, but if it was something as accursed as this one, I frankly would not enjoy it at all—although if I could use it for redemption, then why not?

"Alright! It seems our participants are ready! This fight starts in a-one! A-two! Aaaaaaa-three!" A brief horn blew after the host's count.

Honey Beast, surprisingly enough, shot forward with eagerness. I didn't expect he would try and aggressively set the pace of the fight. Considering his actions earlier, he seemed to not have much regard.

Or maybe nothing has changed. He probably wanted to end this fight as soon as possible.

He pulled back a fist and struck at my face. I weaved to the side, expecting the move, and caught his wrist. Since he was heavy and I didn't want to overexert on the strength side of things, I used the momentum of his attack against him and flipped him over to his back. I even helped him accelerate as he landed on the pavement with a bang.

I heard him gasp.

He had been very clear on what he wanted to do—and while he was fast about it, I was prepared enough.

I stepped back this time and let him get up on his feet, still as ever prepared, curled into a stance, and waiting for an attack. Taking the rhythm of the fight was not the only way to take a battle. If I tried going at it like that, with how aggressive he was being, I would only be fighting fire with fire.

He was reckless. I could take advantage of that.

He stood up and, this time, took a better look at me. I was guessing he hadn't been taking me very seriously earlier, but that greeting would serve as a forewarning that I wasn't to be taken lightly. After all, among the thousands that had auditioned to be included within this tournament, I was one of the fourteen.